Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD and College

ADHD and College2011-01-11T04:24:30+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments ADHD and College

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I’m 41 and was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years ago. I work full time and have been going to school part time, and will be graduating this year with my bachelors degree. I’m trying to study for the GRE, but I’ve had a hard focusing on reading and remembering what I study. I took the test last week and kept freezing up – drawing a blank. So I’m going to retake it. Any study tips on preparing for the GRE?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took the GRE a few years back and I know it was pretty intimidating. Study tips vary so much from person to person but I ended up having to go to a room by myself and study. The most helpful thing for me was to take the mock tests that they send you. I ended up taking three or four and it helped me with my pacing and I was prepared for the format. A lot of it seemed to be general knowledge that I learned taking the basics for my bachelors degree. I ended up just taking practice exams and brushing up on math.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just finished a college course called college experience and my professor had interestingly pointed out that listening to classical music Bach to be more precise helped students improve math scores I also tried it for other courses and it seems to help. You probably know the materials you need to pass the test but just need to be able to approach it with a relaxed frame of mind.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just found out that ADD is recognized as a disability at colleges and there are counselors / resources to help. Also, through the counselor you are able to have the amount of time extended for you to take tests. I am wondering if this is also possible for timed tests like the GRE and others.

I found this all out after I really needed the help.

I hope that this will help you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Age – 52 1/2

Back for further higher education: 2002-present (2011)

Distance Education (Online) Graduate Student Studies – Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator, Educational Technology, Adult Education

Campus based graduate work in: Microbiology, Electron Microscopy, Gross Anatomy, Public Health Pests

Original diagnosis of ADHD – Elementary School

ADHD Treatment – Ritalin to age <14

ADHD Treatment between ages 14-51 – none – had thought/hoped to have outgrown ADHD

Nov 2009 – diagnosed with Adult ADHD – prior to this date failed to/chosen not to recognize the signs (more recently) – basically in denial – had trouble completing assignments on time recently in my graduate studies and lost points on my work as I left it late hoping the adrenaline rush would pull me through – that worked less as time progressed – started treatment on Vyvanse 30mg once a day – noted immediate improvement. Now on Vyvanse 50mg once a day and will be looking to increase this. Medication is an important part of ADHD treatment as it improves one’s focus. Please note I am not giving health care advice here nor am I responsible for what others do with what I have said about medications. I am just relating my own experience and what has worked for me. One should decide these issues with one’s health care provider. You will though want to find one that is well versed in Adult ADHD.

Took General and Biology GRE in December 2003. Used GRE review books which I had purchased. Check to see if your local public library has online GRE reviews available (“Learn a Test”) or if your educational institution offers GRE review courses. Some GRE review courses are very expensive. Check with student disability services at your educational institution to see if they can advise on GRE courses and ask them about time extensions for the GRE for those with ADHD, also ask the people that administer the GRE. Last I knew there were still paper based and computer based testing. I took the computer based testing. I knew I had a disability but did not realize ADHD was considered a disability warranting special services at educational institutions. I now have a document from student disability services that I e-mail to each of my faculty instructors. When you get such a document e-mail it to your faculty right away.

I highly recommend the book “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents” (2008) by Nancy Ratey. Our local public library has copies of it. She is an ADHD coach and has ADHD herself. Her husband is John Ratey, MD who writes on ADHD. The public library has many books on ADHD. I would look for the ones with the most recent publication years. Also look in your local four year and community college libraries for books on ADHD. There are many aspects to think about with ADHD i.e. how it affects your studies and your relationships be they with spouse, kids, friends etc. Since late Dec 2010 early Jan 2011 I have committed to reading as much as I can about ADHD and how it affects all areas of one’s life. I have been married 26 years and have 3 kids. Until I started reading more about ADHD I wasn’t aware how many of my behaviors were affected by ADHD such as procrastination, staying focused, getting started on school work, and many others. Now I have a better understanding of why. Other authors I recommend for books on ADHD are Gina Pera, Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo, Melissa Orlov (her book is “The ADHD Effect of Marriage”), “Finding Your Focus” (2006) by Judith Greenbaum & Geraldine Markel.

ADHD Resources I have read or am currently reading

Orlov, Melissa. (2010). The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps. Plantation, FL: Specialty Press

Ratey, Nancy A. (2008). The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents. New York: St. Martin’s Press. (Excellent source of ideas of what you can do to minimize the impact of your ADHD on your life)

Pera, Gina. (2008). Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.: Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder. San Francisco:1201 Alarm Press. (Gives lots of information about ADHD and how it affects others and what others have done to cope with it. Knowing how ADHD affects others can help someone with ADHD understand themself better and take some action to minimize the impact of ADHD on others and self)

Greenbaum, Judith & Markel, Geraldine. (2006). Finding Your Focus: Practical Strategies for the Everyday Challenges Facing Adults with ADD: 6 Critical Tools for Getting Organized. New York: McGraw-Hill. (Good book with info on how to minimize the impact of ADHD on one’s life)

Kelly, Kate & Ramundo, Peggy. (2006). You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! New York: Scribner. (Excellent all around book, as is the book by Gina Pera, listed above) Note Gina Pera will be speaking on the Webinar in February at http://totallyadd.com look for the link to the Webinar. You can also view an archive of it if you miss it.

Hope you find the information above helpful. With a better understanding of ADHD you can succeed and minimize the impact of ADHD on your life but it takes hard work. I have been a member of three academic honor societies. People with ADHD can do great things. Be encouraged! ADHDers see the world very differently and we make connections that others fail to make.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

standardized tests are one of ADHDers worst nightmares. The time constraints the vast amounts of info to absorb. The trick questions. I think they should all be abolished.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

whats a GRE?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The GRE is the Graduate Record Examination. It is a requirement for entry into many graduate programs. There are different GREs. There is a general GRE and then there are subject GREs such as for biology and other subjects. Some graduate programs may require the General GRE, some may require the General and Subject GREs.

Here is the website for information about the GRE http://www.ets.org/gre

Here is the website for information about taking the GRE for those with disabilities

http://www.ets.org/gre/general/register/disabilities

I wish I would have known that ADHD was a disability and that accommodations could have been made when I took the subject (Biology) and general GRE back in Dec 2003 or for that matter that I recognized that my childhood ADD had persisted into adulthood.

Even if you are a distance education student, as I am and have been since May 2004, it is important to see what services your educational institution offers for those with a disability, in our case ADHD.

I think the biggest struggle for students is time management, prioritization, and initiation when it comes to school work. It is so easy to get distracted. I think the books I mentioned in an earlier posting, see above, by Nancy Ratey, and another by Greenbaum and Markel would be very helpful re help with becoming better organized etc. I have started implementing some of the strategies i.e. using timers at time to keep on track and efficiently utilize my time. There is great information in both those books and it is like having a ADHD coach by your side. I do recommend them. Each book has it’s unique perspectives.

For my online class this semester I am proposing to do a paper on ADHD and distance learning (online classes).

It is also good to check out online databases to find recent articles on ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

A book that really helped me when I went back to university was

Becoming a Master Student by David Ellis

You can see a description at the amazon link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Master-Student-Tenth-David/dp/0618206787

Other than motivation, I attribute the study skills I learned in there to my success. It was well before I ever thought I had ADD.It’s kind of a workbook at the same time, caters to various learning styles and is very visual. Worth every penny!

Now if only I could find it, I would re-read it and force my kids to read it:-) Still haven’t solved the misplaced items problems as you can see :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nellie,

I just finished a course based on that book it was one of the best courses study courses I have ever done. If it should be offered for college credit I strongly recomend it.

K

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)