Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD and Customer Service!

ADHD and Customer Service!2014-06-12T08:48:10+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Lost/Losing My Job ADHD and Customer Service!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mrdman

Hi I’m new to the forums and though it was time i express my frustration about dealing with ADHD and customer service jobs. I can start off by simply saying customer service is my kryptonite! serving customers dealing with repetitive tasks is psychological torture for me. To begin those jobs are not very interesting and fulfilling to a person who doesn’t have ADD or ADHD but for those who do I’m pretty sure most of you who are in the same boat as me can agree its a millions times worst for us! For years now i have been dealing with this, so i try to find jobs that will be somewhat interesting keeping my brain stimulated so I’m able to function but its so hard to find one and wen i do i never get the job i only get those that i know i wont be able to stand. The stages are always the same i start off motivated then after a few weeks the repetitiveness of my job starts to break me down my motivation goes away i start feeling like i have no energy i loose my temper get frustrated easily then i get depressed. Ive had a millions jobs in the last 6 years and now its gotten worst i can barely do a few days before it kicks in. I also deal with fear of making bad choices im scared of having regrets so all choose for example to take a year and save my money to maybe travel 2 days after i change my mind and choose to go back to school in fear that i may never go back and I’m making the wrong decision im on able to finish something i start my mind always changes! sorry i went off topic feels good to talk about it! Anyone here let me know if you deal with this too!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @mrdman, welcome. 🙂

Oh yeah, I deal with it. Almost word for word exactly the same. But I never knew why. I never put it together before that the loss of energy, depression, temper tantrums,  strong urge to dump a pot of coffee on the customer’s head…. are all because of the ADD.

Well, that last one was also because the guy was an idiot.

So…. First of all, you need to relax. Take a deep breath… in with the good…..and exhale….out with the bad. Close your eyes, go to your  happy place. Whatever. You have to let go of the stress, the anxiety, and all of those past failures, the regret, the guilt.  All that stuff is holding you back.

I know what it’s like to fear making bad choices. I have been paralyzed by that fear most of my life. I would stay in a horrible job where the pay sucked and I was miserable just because I was afraid to try something new. What if I don’t like it? What if I can’t do it? What if they don’t like me? What if I get fired?

But you can what if yourself all the way to Crazy Town. It won’t do you any good. You can’t predict the future. You just have to make a choice and do your best. I would say be careful not to make impulsive choices, but sometimes those are the best ones. You know, as long as your impulse isn’t to put on a squirrel suit and go jump off  a building. 😉

Its late and I shouldn’t be trying to do this right now. I need to wait until my brain is working again so I can give you a more intelligent answer. Just hang in there. And use the forums. Post your questions, share your experiences, or just vent like you did here. It helps. And there is lots of good stuff to read here too. You will find there are a lot of people just like you. And maybe some of their experiences will help you on your journey.

I’m going on a journey to the bedroom now before I start to get really silly. 😛

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

In the past I have had jobs that were front line customer service and I really enjoyed the interaction with people. For me the boring jobs were the ones that don’t involve interaction with others. When you say customer service involves repetitive tasks I’m not sure I understand what you mean. What aspect of these jobs are your “kryptonite”?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)