Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adhd and Dyslexia

Adhd and Dyslexia2010-03-03T20:46:51+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Adhd and Dyslexia

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Clive

Is there a connection between ADHD and Dyslexia ????

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

So i take the silence on this subject that nobody knows

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clive,

About 50% of people who have dyslexia tend to also have ADD.

See e.g. http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/coexisting/WWK5

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

Thank you Curious, i do have mild dyslexia

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Y’know, I’ve always wondered why my p’s, b’s, and d’s don’t get written down properly. If it’s dyslexia, I must have a very mild form of it.

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

I am bad with numbers , phone # the worst .

I did attend some training and it has got a lot better .

Its tough to concentrate on something when you might have ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Count me in with the mild mild dyslexia crowd.

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

So we are a group within a group LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Look to the work of Bonnie Kaplan in Calgary who has done a lot of work with this co-connection. The link is interesting because it heralds a possible problem with the cerebellum. These individuals often have other coordination problems (dyslexia might be considered a coordination problems of how your eyes scan words) like handwriting, clumsiness etc. Some authors like Harry Levinson talks about Cerebellar problems as the root of ADHD but this is a real peripheral opinion. The implications of treatment may be more real, however, and is worth exploring.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinking of getting myself tested for dyslexia. What I find alarming is how much it seems to overlap with ADHD. Quite a lot of the signs could be attibuted to either.

I’m just wondering about the implications of having dyslexia, particularly given I already have an DHD diagnosis. Which problems do I attribute to which term? What does it mean for me in the workplace? Should I go seeking some sort of disability assistance? Do I really need it? Would it even help, at my age?

I mean, I haven’t even made an appointment yet. But it’s still a bit flooring when the site says to be concerned if I tick 10 of the boxes, and I ticked 36…

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

I for one, was diagnosed with ADHD and a Learning Disability, though I was not given a specific label for the LD. I have fine motor skills and clumsiness as well as problems with Phonics, (Hooked on Phonics would *not* have worked for me. I learned to read very well through sight words, and context, semantic and syntactic cues. As a result, I’m a strong believer in whole language rather than phonics in isolation.) working memory and processing speed.

When I took Special Education training (I’m a teacher.) my instructor told the class that terms like Dyslexia, Discalculia, etc. really aren’t used in the Canadian context, though I don’t think he really explained why.

Nimthiriel: If you have a dual diagnosis, it can be very difficult to tease out what is caused by which condition. The important thing is find the coping strategies that work for you.

If you get an LD diagnosis, you have the right to seek workplace accommodations (at least in Ontario, I can’t speak for other juristictions.) to help you do your job better. Your Psychologist would include suggested accommodations in their report.

The thing is, in order to get the accommodations you have to feel comfortable enough with your employer in order to ask for them. I have a friend who had a horrendous time when she asked for accommodations in University, and as a result has never approached employers for accommodations.

Learning Disabilities are included in the term disabilities in the Human Rights code, so if you do experience workplace discrimination as a result of revealing a diagnosis, you do have legal recourse. You just need to have the wherewithall to go through the whole Human Rights process assuming something goes wrong. Only you can judge your own situation.

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/issues/disability

REPORT ABUSE

curlysue

When i learned about my ADD it explained so much about me. if i’m rushing i get my letters mixed up and i always wondered. i’ve not been tested for it but i’m sure i have it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)