Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD, Anxiety and Beta Blockers

ADHD, Anxiety and Beta Blockers2010-11-06T02:58:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication ADHD, Anxiety and Beta Blockers

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to manage anxiety with beta blockers while taking Concerta or any other stimulant? What beta blockers work best? I am taking 36mg of Concerta and 30mg of Prozac for anxiety and weaning off of it. I would love to find something that addresses the physiological symptoms of anxiety without that drowsy, sluggish feeling that SSRIs and benzos can cause. Please read below for some background info.

In elementary school I was the class clown. I loved to make people laugh and got along with everyone. In high school I continued to be that class clown and sought stimulus every chance I got. I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and my confidence increased causing me to become more of a risk taker. I didn’t have any issues with depression during high school but I was socially anxious. I was very keen to the physical sensations of nervousness and it was hard for me to ignore them. I often felt as though the physical symptoms came suddenly and the thoughts came afterward. I was able to gain control of my thoughts but the physical symptoms lasted a long time kept fuelling the anxiety. I was bothered whenever I noticed a physical symptom related to nervousness or anxiety.

In the summer of 1999 I was eager to start OAC and was working many, many hours. While at work I had my first panic attack. It seemed to just come out of the blue and at that point I became even more aware of my physical sensations. A comment made by a co-worker while I was having that first panic attack made me associate it to something that I have come to see as completely laughable; nevertheless the connection was made. At the beginning the high anxiety and panic attacks were very situational and I was not suffering from depression but within a few of weeks I was completely paralyzed with fear and I could not finish OAC. I slept all day, had parents call me lazy left, right and center and to top it all off I had a pregnant girlfriend and felt completely disabled. This is when the depression came and escalated very quickly.

I went to see a psychiatrist and they began treating me with the dreaded SSRIs. I started on 20 mg of Paxil and was given Lorazepam to help with the panic attacks. The Paxil made me feel like I drank 40 cups of coffee, increased my sweating and made me feel like a zombie. The Lorazepam worked great but made me feel very drowsy and drugged up. I have always had this type of reaction to the many SSRIs I have taken but some where a bit more manageable than others. I have always felt that I NEED SOMETHING THAT STOPS THAT INSTANT FIGHT OR FLIGHT RESPONSE. I hate feeling sluggish, tired and unmotivated.

Since starting the Concerta I feel sharper mentally, motivated and calm but there are symptoms that have increased since taking both medications. I sweat a lot and I mean A LOT and this triggers my anxiety. I also feel very restless. I have never been a fan of the SSRIs and I feel that the Prozac is contributing to that unwanted lethargic, unmotivated feeling.

I have read that beta blockers are used to help with the physiological symptoms of anxiety without causing the sedating effect and am interested in trying them out once I’m off the Prozac.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In case you found my first post to be too long this is what I want to know:

a) Is it possible to manage high anxiety with beta blockers while taking Concerta or any other stimulant?

b) What beta blockers work best?

c) How common is it to treat anxiety/panic with beta blockers?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As long as you don’t have a respiratory problem, Beta blockers are effective. These are one of the most common treatments for stage fright, for example.

Any of them though the oldest and most traditional is propranolol. Has some problems with depression.

It is not uncommon but there are many other treatments so not as common as before.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)