Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD, Autism and dairy?

ADHD, Autism and dairy?2010-12-06T21:33:23+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments ADHD, Autism and dairy?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

A friend of mine kicked dairy recently and apparently hasn’t had a “bad” autistic day since. It apparently took about a week to actually take effect, and while it hasn’t “cured” her it has apparently helped her symptoms a great deal.

I’m wondering whether anyone knows anything about this, how it might work and whether it might apply to ADHD as well (given that the two conditions share so many aspects)?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Big ones for food intolerance with many of the neurobehavioural disorders are gluten (wheat) & casein (dairy).

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

@drshaelyn, could you give us your references for that association? I’m very interested to see the studies, and to know how many are RCTs. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Saffron, I’m about to show my ignorance: What’s an RCT?

*embarrassed*

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Hey Nim’:)

No reason to be embarrassed. RCT = randomized controlled trial.

All studies have some potential for bias, but this kind is seen as the least likely to show results that might have been caused by something else. That’s because (1) the people who get the treatment being tested are chosen at random, (2) a placebo or control group is used for comparison with all other conditions being equal, and (3) where possible, researchers and subjects are kept from knowing who got the placebo.

Results of RCTs make especially convincing evidence when the test was done on a whole big whack of people at once, when lots of other researchers test the same thing and come up with similar results (i.e., replicate it), AND when the study was “peer reviewed” before publishing (which means other scientists pored over its methods and criticized the hell out of it before deciding that it stood up to scrutiny).

By the way, good studies are also published with a public declaration of the “competing interests” of the people who did the research. So if, for instance, you’ve submitted a brilliant study that shows evidence for dried asparagus as a treatment for ADHD, and it turns out that you also sell asparagus vitamin-capsules from your website or you’re the white-coated front-woman for Asparag-Focus Inc. Corporation, your study may not appear terribly reliable.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for that :-)

Sadly, the only thing I have right now is a bit of anecdotal evidence and no idea whether a positive result was expected, so can’t rule out placebo.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)