Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD Coaching

ADHD Coaching2013-07-05T08:39:50+00:00

The Forums Forums For The Non-ADD I Married An ADDer ADHD Coaching

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Scattybird
    Participant

Hello garyk – welcome to our community. I am glad you found this site and the resources on it. When I was diagnosed (at 49) I found the site and the people on it immensely helpful. The diagnosis took some getting used to despite the fact that it explained most of my life! But once you understand  then it becomes easier to accept. As you describe for Ireland, support in England is very limited.

I am sorry you have had to deal with brain injury due to being assaulted. That is a horrific thing to happen. I presume from what you said about your ADHD diagnosis explaining your whole life, that your ADHD wasn’t brought on by your injuries but has always been there?

Since I have been diagnosed I find now (it took a while to get here) that I just accept who I am. So I won’t progress up the career ladder because I don’t get things done as efficiently as my colleagues….but so what as long as I do what I am capable of. Now I understand that, I am more accepting of others overtaking me at work and now I am aware of my limitations I can work around them better – just as long as I can keep afloat!

Maybe it’s an ageing thing …. but I care less now what people think. But this site is the only place that I feel people understand – because of course we all have ADHD in common. Those without it cannot understand it. So do hang around and if we can help or even just listen then we will. It’s good to have new friends joining in.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

Welcome garyk!

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago at age 44. Still learning what it all means. Found this site about a month or so ago. It’s really crazy how much I can relate to this group.

It just feels really good to share and know that others can relate to you.

Damon

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

I was diagnosed as a kid but my parents didn’t tell me til I was about 47-48 something like that. I had a heck of a time getting anyone to diagnose me as an adult. Finally at age 50-51 I was diagnosed.

It’s a whole lot different suspecting it than it is knowing it. I had to finally accept it (which I thought I had done long ago) that was only 6 or 7 months ago. I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out what to do, I think I have it handled, then it just evaporates.

My world is still falling apart, and I can’t force myself to stop it. I will be losing everything soon if I don’t get myself into gear.

Something has got to be positive, somewhere.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

I have no security, no local support, and no safe haven.

If there is I don’t see it at the moment.

My only support is this website and the people on it, which literally saved my life back in January. Without them I hate to think what might have happened to me.

I was so happy when they ended the premium subscription thing, that I donated right away even though it put me in the hole for something else. It wasn’t a lot to them, but it was an enormous amount to me.

This is the absolute best website on the internet for people struggling with ADD.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

seabassd,

I got a message from you that I thought you wrote in the forum, guess not.

I sent a message back via ‘reply’ but it was sent back with a bunch of cryptic symbols and numbers and letters that didn’t make any sense, just a little note saying undeliverable.

So here is what I sent:

I have an old copy, I’ll have to check that out again. I’ve been trying to become independent, resisting assistance from the government. I didn’t want to block myself from job opportunities that required a fully functioning brain system. But I resisted too long while wearing my sparkly-rose-colored glasses, to me it seemed I would have the job that covered all my bills and everything “any moment now”, I would get up and get everything done “any moment now” “Now” has long gone. I wish “losing everything any moment now” was just as elusive.

Overwhelm seems to close in tighter, the harder I try. Not having a choice makes me even more disabled by overwhelm. I have to pay the bills or lose everything. If I had to get an apartment I’d have to pay a lot more than I’m supposed to now, even with taxes and insurance on the house.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

garyk

You might find AttentionTalkRadio.com a valuable source of information as well. I skipped around the topics for a while, then I started listening to them from oldest to newest. I also try to catch the new shows as they come on. They are immensely helpful.

It sure is different when you know what’s going on, rather than guessing. Sometimes I feel like more of an outsider than I did before. But in more important ways I feel accepted, like this forum, and the TotallyADD website.

Evelyn

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

There are websites and services that I won’t mention even in a negative tone because the less their name is voiced, or typed the better.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)