Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD Combined…. Medication Question

ADHD Combined…. Medication Question2012-10-15T01:43:14+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? ADHD Combined…. Medication Question

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Ya’ll!

So heres the break down. I am a 22 year old female university student who was diagnosed 2 years (about) ago with ADHD Combined. At that time we did not talk about medication.

Now that I have done copious amounts of research, read books, been all over the web, and read through many forums I think that I am ready to take the next step to get more help. I am “coping” ok, but I think that I would function better with meds. I don’t know, I may just be making it all up. It seems like many pople think that.

I am getting ready to apply to Teachers Collage this winter (for next Fall) and am already getting overwhelmed with the amount of paper work sitting around my desk.

I have been working with a disability counselor at my University (who is gerat) and have been receiving accomidationis through the school.

I am just really reaching out to the rest of this community to see what your experiences have been. I don’t currently have a GP (or one that I would feel comfortable asking for help from). I really need some advice as I am approaching unknown territory (at least for me).

Thanks in advance :)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

If you have done the research and reading you say you have, then you know that meds work differently for everyone. You also know that some, such as Adderall, act quickly and leave just as quickly. Since you have made it this far without meds, you are obviously of a higher IQ. . . . and a good student. Congratulations.

I suspect that what you really want is for someone to say it’s OK and that you’re not going to turn into some Hyped up speed addict, which you know is not the case for prescribed users.

It’s OK. Give one of the ADHD meds a try. If it works and helps you out, great. If it doesn’t, then you seem capable of developing some additional coping strategies.

I would think something, such as Adderall, which acts quickly and unwanted side effects will dissapate quickly when discontinued would be a good start. Since you appear to cope fairly well without, use it only when needed.

Welcome to the site, and let us know how it goes for you.

PS: I have a 22 year old ADHD son . . who got it from me.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Hello donaldsl,

I am one of the people here who is using drug therapy to help me with ADD. I also use councilors, and coaches, and I read lots of books. As KC5JCK said, to make it this far, you probably have a higher IQ. While that is not a prerequisite, it is my experience that that is one of the “symptoms” :)

I’ll tell you what I told my daughter, who got ADHD from me.

“I am not going to tell you that it is OK to start any drug therapy.

You have to decide that for yourself.

I am going to tell you that it is a tool that CAN, not WILL, but CAN help. (as he waggles his finger)

Sometimes drug therapy is no help at all, but you and your doctors have to make that decision.

Drug therapy is not a cure.

It is something that can reduce the symptoms to the point where you can alter the way you react to situations through learned behaviors you receive through counciling, coaching and reading.

Still not sure? Try talking to your doctor or a shrink (still can’t spell psychaiXXXXXtrist)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)