Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD; Female, hormonal, and pooped!

ADHD; Female, hormonal, and pooped!2010-11-29T22:41:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community ADHD; Female, hormonal, and pooped!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi There,

I was identified with ADHD as an adult (26-27 yrs old) with LD co-morbidity. My assessment was completed by an Educational Psychologist who worked closely with a Family Practise Physician for med Rx. At the time it was suggested that I start on 10 mg of Dextramphetamine daily. Quickly, I requested an increase to 15 mg daily which, helped for a while… well, I functioned relatively normally for 4 years. More recently, in June 2010, I requested an increase to 20 mg daily which, has also helped but I have noticed that it is not quite working as I believe it should. This said, here are my questions:

1. I am female and in early November 2010, I began treatments to medicinally throw me into menipause, at 32, for unrelated issues in my reproductive system (although if you were to ask my mother, my wild younger days probably played a part). Could hormones be contributing to the lack of brain response to the stimulant?

2. It would be easy to blame depression, but I know I am not depressed as I am active, outgoing etc and have no sadness, yet I am exhausted. Again, could female estrogen changes/fluxes be playing a part in the fatigue and extreme need for sleep? Prior to being prescribed Dextramphetamine I was exhausted all the time. The person who assessed me noted that it is exhausting when you are functioning off of survival skills and trying to “fit in.” I am experiencing the same feeling these days.

3. Although I am going through menopause now (instead of 20 years from now) are there any suggestions for women (or men) who are going through life’s natural cycles with regards to monitoring the dosage and perhaps even switching meds?

I totally appreciate the help and acceptance of these rather odd questions!

REPORT ABUSE

ellamama

Your post sounds familar. At age 34, I started on 4 cycles of IVF with LOADS of hormones–including shutting down my system once in a while to “reboot”. At age 38–after birthing two wonderful daughters–I let my system settle down. Now, at age 45 it seems that having produced ~100 eggs than otherwise would have occurred, menopause may be coming sooner than expected. (No, my doctor hasn’t confirmed my suspicion, but I find it hard to imagine that cracking out that many eggs helped…)

At the suggestion of my psychopharmacologist (psychatrist who primarially prescribed and monitors medications), I’ve been taking Remifemin–a brand of black cohosh supplement. While there are a number of black cohosh supplements available (at least in the US) Remifemin is unique in that the dosage is standardized and approved for use in Germany (where herbal supplements are carefully regulated). I don’t mean to push a specific brand, but mention it to explain why that brand may be unique.

I have to admit, I was pretty surprized that I noticed an effect–less fatigue WAY less irritable.

HTH!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I started the “fun” of peri-menopause a few years ago, at age 37, after never having had any children. Suddenly, I found that PMS was an issue for me. Then I found out, just this past spring, that (surprise!) I have ADHD.

Since then, I’ve learned that hormone fluctuations, even the monthly ones that cause PMS, have a huge impact on the symptoms of any mental condition. And the fluctuations during peri-menopause and menopause are dramatic.

The Centre for Menstrual Cycle & Ovulation Research (CeMCOR) at UBC has heaps of information on women’s reproductive health, including hormone fluctuations and therapies. You should be able to find some answers there. http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/

Also, you may be experiencing symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), a form of depression that kicks in when the days get shorter and the sunlight less intense. Do you have any history of feeling gloomy and tired in fall and winter? If you do, then maybe a full-spectrum lightbox would help. My psych says that exposure to it has been proven effective in reducing the symptoms of both SAD and ADHD. These lightboxes are around $200 each, but they aren’t all created equal, so if you decide to go with one, do your homework first.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since Thursday’schild is undergoing medical treatment with the goal of putting her into menopause, the Black Cohosh might be contraindicated though. Have other possible causes of exhaustion like Type II diabetes, low thyroid, heart and / or kidney failure etc been considered by your doctor and ruled out?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m 35 and I can relate. IVFs, and now continuous low estrogen BCP to treat my endometriosis. My hormones definitely affect my ADD symptoms.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great advice Larynxa. You sure you don’t work for us?

Interesting information Ellamana, does any else know anything about Remifemin? The TotallyADD people like to know.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Skunk… I have run the gammot and it seems I just got bad girl parts! I have accepted that children aren’t in my future, well natural ones anyway, but the hormonal shifts are killing me. I go for my next round of treatments this week. I have been asking about Remifemin and I am getting rave reviews from the women in my life. Sadly, they are all supposed to be in menopause… unlike me.

I am still concerned about the Dex and whether I should be in for an increase. At this point though, I think I am going to try and get into Queens for another assessment.

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it as these hormones are killing me!

REPORT ABUSE

ellamama

Here’s the “official” information from the Remifemin website: http://www.remifemin.com/Products/Menopause/07500-Remifemin.aspx According to information from my midwife (who’s a CNM and professor in the department of OB/GYN at the University of Maryland) the ingredient, black cohosh, has been used for years and years to treat various “female disorders”. (N.B: black cohosh and blue cohosh are VERY different.) It’s unlike soy-based supplements in that it’s not a phytoestrogen; it’s not estrogenic. According to a friend who’s a German pharmacobotanist, herbal supplements which pass some German screening/testing process (which Remifemin has) is extremely rigourous. This means that when the label says the product has 20 mg. of black cohosh root and rhzome, it contains just that–no more, no less and that’s the part of the plant. This is unlike what you may get from a vitamin shop which sells generic “black cohosh”. According to my psychatrist/neuropharmacologist, she says “it’s good stuff”. I swear, I’m not a schill! It just seems to be a useful product.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)