Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD issues TV and video games

ADHD issues TV and video games2011-11-20T21:10:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Angry ADHD issues TV and video games

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

Taken from the blogs…

Video games and computers are very interactive. Video game have different interactivity levels depending on game type. FPS shooters require you think things through. If you go like Rambo, you’ll get your ass kicked. RPG and Strategy require an ultra high planning. “Empire Earth I”, you select what attributes your society possesses. You plan from the first age what you’ll be doing from prehistoric to space age(500,000 years of history). You use long term planning to win the game. Video games are good on three fronts. One, you get that anger and frustration out of your system. Two, these games practice your long term planning skill. Three, improving reaction time for driving or other things. I’v been playing them since I was 7 years old. They helped me in school later.

TV is more like a rest break for the mind. It really does rot your brain. After a few hours, I really need some interactivity.

Video games, only those who are already prone to addiction might have a problem. Causing violence – BS, again only those already prone to it. Most humans have this thing called self-control or willpower. We all learn to develop it over time to interact with society. For some, getting physical works. For some, video games do the job.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

>>Video games, only those who are already prone to addiction might have a problem. Causing violence – BS, again only those already prone to it. Most humans have this thing called self-control or willpower. We all learn to develop it over time to interact with society<<

ADD folks are more prone to addictions of all sorts, including video games, and too much time spent on the computer. It’s a risky area…..

Self-control is also what a good many ADD folks are lacking. More in the ability to manage time, and not get addicted, but it can lead to skirmishes with the law. No, we don’t all learn to develop it over time. I know first-hand having a son with ADD who did not (and he got addicted to video games)

Rather interesting, really, regarding video games.

I can’t personally stand video games, can’t stand to play them – not really even interested in seeing or watching them. I get “anxious” feeling when I play ANY computer game. Even the games on the “TV” boxes like PS, XBOX and so on. Can’t stand ’em, they bore me. Gee, i don’t even like to play card games on the computer. I have to be thinking, and communicating, and a graphic on a screen doesn’t count, I guess. I just feel like there’s other things I’d much rather do.

I suspect if all added up together, since the advent of the very first PCs, I’ve played maybe 6 computer games, probably spent a total of 1 hour tops in all the years.

When I want to get physical, there are always things that need to be done that will satisfy that need. Cutting wood, clearing trees, hammering nails into a project. That way, I not only get physical, but get something done other than sit on my butt and gain more weight.

The physical activity helps me keep my lungs and heart healthier. It also allows me to then cross something off my list of things that need to be done. I needed a work-out the other day after a couple feds stopped by for a chat – so I went into my shop and got physical. I really accomplished a lot! Hauled huge barrels of trash out, carried a 250 pound hydraulic press into my shop to assemble, used a manual hack saw to cut steel for a modified grinder stand. Plus several other items.

Doctors will recommend physical activity for mind/brain health, bloggers will recommend games. ;-)

Sitting is bad for the metabolism, and also bad for the brain.

Proven fact that simply standing up, even when working in an office, leads to better things for mind and body. I can’t stand to sit.

Games have their place, and there are some great memory games for folks with memory issues, but they aren’t my first choice, I guess.

Just my opinions and thoughts……… having a son who has real people problems who grew up on video games. Since you are not interacting with REAL people, you lose or never gain people skills – also very important.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

internet is both my bane and my love lol. speaking..i should activate my internet blocker.. I am starting to hyperfocus. ahhh internet.

before the internet… it was TV, video games, computer games…… definitely brain candy. I think the internet is an absolute panacea for the spread of knowledge, i just wish I could log off when it begins to impair my life……

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

>ADD folks are more prone to addictions of all sorts, including video games, and too much time spent on the computer. It’s a risky area….. Self-control is also what a good many ADD folks are lacking. More in the ability to manage time, and not get addicted, but it can lead to skirmishes with the law. No, we don’t all learn to develop it over time. I know first-hand having a son with ADD who did not (and he got addicted to video games)

As ADHD, I never had a problem with addiction with video games. I play, but still do the business of life. Addiction is about escaping life, not facing up to harsh reality of life. This applies to video games as well. It all depends on the person with or without ADHD.

“Drugs start as a way to feel good, but soon become a way to stop from feeling bad.” STTNG(TV)

>Rather interesting, really, regarding video games. I can’t personally stand video games, can’t stand to play them.

To understand virtual worlds, you have to have a good imagination. Reading books is just reading words, unless you enter that virtual world. The same with video games. If you don’t become the character, your just using controls to change images on screen. It’s like imaginary playtime when you were younger. You can’t understand that world unless you become the character in that world.

I’m the hero of Oblivion who saves the world, becomes a “knight of Imperial Dragon” and the hero of kvatch with stone monument in my honor. I’m the steath hero of FEAR who saves the city from army of clones. The list goes on.

>When I want to get physical, there are always things that need to be done that will satisfy that need. Cutting wood, clearing trees, hammering nails into a project. That way, I not only get physical, but get something done other than sit on my butt and gain more weight.

It’s all about balance, not too much of anything. I get burned out on socializing quickly. So, I do other things not involving it.

>Doctors will recommend physical activity for mind/brain health, bloggers will recommend games. [;-)]

Sitting is bad for the metabolism, and also bad for the brain.

Wrong, for some of us, standing for long periods is harmful and/or painful. I’m both. I need to spend most of my time sitting. However, I move around in the chair part of having ADHD. I can’t sit still. It’s unnatural. Another reason, I can’t get past the interview.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)