Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD Point of View….

ADHD Point of View….2011-01-20T14:16:58+00:00

The Forums Forums For The Non-ADD Other ADHD Point of View….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a bit peeved by your response. The tone is quite pretentious.

Pointing out that people are making spelling mistakes on a simple web forum that is intended for those who suffer from ADD and saying that it’s a result of our impulsivity (which isn’t a real word by the way) is bias and incorrect. And my frustration with the school system is justified, you simply can not generalize education… it’s not a one size fits all deal. With that being said, that is the point of early intervention, so you can provide the student with tools necessary to succeeded.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, I figured your post was referring to mine, and when I asked you a simple question you used me as a negative example. I find it sad that you have to nit pick other peoples opinions and stories. You basically dismissed my personal experience as “random thoughts.” How insulting and rude. People come here to get a variety of opinions and views…

That’s very degrading, you know? Also, I’d like to point out that as someone who writes many academic papers, my spelling and grammar skills are quite strong and are not something you should be worrying about on an internet forum anyway. We all get lazy at times. :-)

I posted my story earlier in response to a thread about ADD and College. I’m new to the site and figured it was a good thread to share my story of diagnosis and treatment because I was diagnosed in College and am still pursuing my education. So if you want to read about my experience you can read it here http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1423 .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

THIS PLACE HAS GONE DOWN HILL LATELY .. I MISS NO – DOPAMINE .. KIND OF AGREE WITH HER

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Bettyfox

There are many things wrong with the school system which result in the justifiable frustrations which you and I have both experienced. One frustration is the very one you mention, that of early intervention.

Browneyes and I were both told that our kid just needed to “grow up.” Had the school system had some sort of early intervention in the form of screening to identify problems such as ADHD in me, my son, and yourself, our lives would have been much different to this point. Unfortunately, such was not the case.

Another frustration with the schoool system is that kids, such as yourself, identified as gifted have so little encouragement. It’s like they want to turn out students which conform to some preconceived model. Great sums are spent to get the slow learners up to average, which is good, but the brighter students seemed to get “dumbed down” by having to sit in boring classes that don’t exploit and encourage the potential of the gfted. Programs for the exceptional do not give equal resources to the exceptional who are “gifted.” (Now I’m sure I’ve ticked off a bunch of teachers and school administrators. But they, I’m sure, are frustrated over the very same things.) It saddens me to think that, you did not get identified early as ADHD, get the medication and tools needed, and get access to a good program for gifted students. It’s a terrible waste.

As for spelling, in my case, I often hit the “send post” before proofreading and have to “edit” to correct spelling or add some additional thought. Maybe I shouldn’t generalize my case.

As for my tone, I guess I’ll go check out the “There’s a “tone” to my voice that everyone hates” thread on that one.

Actually, the “random” reference was about how on so many of the threads we seem to get off topic and go on some other random direction. Which is what I did with my post. It was not directed at yours which I thought was excellent and on topic. I enjoyed it. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The more members, the more points of view!

Im sorry you feel the place has gone downhill Tea.

I am VERY new to the site so never got to see it at it’s “peak”. If we say, was all in a coffee shop, all debating various subjects over the table. A few disagreements arose during the debates, would you then go on to say the coffee shop was going downhill?

Just a thought but the forum is what the members make it. We are allowed to disagree on some points, wish for better on others but, lets not forget why we are here and what the community is all about :)

WOFH!

Peter x

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

When I was 8, my teacher tried to discipline me and I rebelled against it. My Mom complained to the school, even though the discipline was appropriate for the class – I was the one who was different, and maybe needed to be in a different class. What went wrong with that, is that I didn’t learn any accountability for my own behavior, I didn’t get any help with ADD (My Mom fought about that too, and insisted that I was just too smart, and therefore bored), and my behavior and rebelliousness went out of control. I was allowed to do whatever I wanted, which didn’t make me happy after all, and certainly didn’t endear me wtih my peers.

I think it’s important to realize that although we ADD’ers get misunderstood, that doesn’t mean our behavior is just fine. I think I needed PROPER help with my behavior that addressed the root causes (AD/HD), and then to have a reasonable level of accountability for my actions based on reasonable expectations, with ADD appropriate consequences.

If that would have happened, starting early, I think I could have been less behind socially, less stressed out, more proud of my accomplishments and more well adjusted later in life.

I believe there are some smart teachers and psychologists out there, if you look really hard, who know how to make that happen. Browneyes – I hope your daughter can get the best possible help. Thanks for coming here!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i dont think anyone was passing judgement on anyone else i think the comments were just personal , and i dont think it was meant to hurt anyone.

i often type fast and mix up my letters and then put send , i dont take the time to reread.

i also get off the topic and have random thoughts.

so i dotn think you have to only be ADD to do that LOL unless i am and dotn know it.

and as far as the tone. i really dont get how people get a tone on the computer :) i was told once that i was giving attitude and i didnt understand how .

all i know is that i like you guys because your real and you are given you real thoughts without editing. and that helps me understand my daughter.

because if you edit everything then i wont understand what she is thinking

as far as school i agree, the school wants every kids to be the same and do the same and as soon as you do different your a troble maker.

that is why i got my daughter checked . they were always on her back for one reason or another. and i found it wasnt always her fault or fair.

so i agreee. thay everyone has their opion and thoughts and that we cant be judged for that.

thank you :) to everyone.

FROM A MOM WHO CARES :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)