Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

AD/HD Treatments and Family Planning

AD/HD Treatments and Family Planning2010-09-21T17:05:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community AD/HD Treatments and Family Planning

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a mom (to a 6 month old) and am currently seeking out a doctor to find out if I do in fact have ad/hd. My husband and I plan to have more children in the coming years and I plan to breastfeed so I was wondering what types of treatment (if any) are available to me during this period of my life and what can I do to cope with my ad/hd symptoms when meds aren’t an option?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as breastfeeding/pregnancy goes I don’t think you would want to be on any medication used to treat the symptoms of AD/HD. Methylphenidate is one that there have not been enough studies to go either way. I would talk about it with your Doctor if/when the time comes. You may have to abstain from the meds and focus more on the coaching and CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy). Kick start it with some hypnosis maybe. I recently spoke to an experienced hypnotherapist who said he’s worked with ADD’ers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can check out risk options of meds using Motherisk.com which is at the Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto site that has a comprenhensive library of risks to the fetus. However, I think ShaneG is correct in directing you to lifestyle changes which will have to happen any how.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does ADD medication influence the probability of conception? Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well if it helps you focus at least you can remember how to do it properly. Not every opening works, ya know.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

:-) I guess it means no. Thanks.

A Dr. has told me the opposite. If you want to get pregnant, you should stop the meds. The reason was that it is labeled C (or something like that)?

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

curious it would depend what kind of medication you’re on I expect. the advice to check with motherisk is excellent.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks BuxomDiva.

I’m taking Vyvanse and checked the motherisk already. I couldn’t find any mention about getting pregnant and ADD meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr J!

**guffaw** !!!

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

@Curious – they might not refer to them as ADD meds per se but I’m sure they have information on SSRI’s, stimulants, whatever you might be taking – you might need to educate yourself a little – for example Wellbutrin is a brand name for buproprion (or something like that anyway – I have ADD I can’t remember this $hit! lol)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)