Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adjusting lifestyle to being on meds

Adjusting lifestyle to being on meds2011-08-27T18:13:27+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Psychostimulants – General Adjusting lifestyle to being on meds

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

munchkin

After about a month on Concerta (recently diagnosed) I can’t stop trying to catch up on every unfinished neglected thing in my life – I don’t know how to stop and smell the roses. I’ve never been able to stay on task before, so I am exhilerated with being able to actually accomplish stuff with my time, but I’m getting exhausted physically. I’ve told myself to quit it and just veg, but the urge to keep checking more things off the list is irresistible. I guess I’ll probably hit an exhaustion wall sooner or later…. Anyone else experience this? How do I get realistic that it will be a lifetime of better productivity and I don’t have to fix everything by next week or even next year? Can you relate?

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I can, see my blog, “first time on meds.” It’s like getting glasses for the first time. You see everything clearly. All these new details to look at. All this beauty to embrace . It’s overwhelming. Where to start? Make your list. What items are your most important first. Create it on a text document in an easy to find directory. As Nike(brand name) says, “Just do it!” 8)

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Thanks Filmbuff! I’ll check out your blog :) First thing on my list… everything! oh, I guess I’ll have to get a little more specific, eh? 😆

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Oh, wow, this is me! And it’s frustrating because right now it all seems to be about the housework – and while it’s very cool to finally be getting things picked up around my house, I’m starting to feel a bit like a robot.

Right now there’s not so much beauty to embrace; my initial reaction to being able to see everything is to see how many things need doing – piles everywhere! Neglected closets and rooms! Clutter clutter clutter! And, like munchkin, I’m wearing myself out trying to attack it all, all day long Things are getting done, but I’m aching and sore by mid-afternoon.

I guess I need to make a list, but I’m afraid to – that’s the sort of thing that always tripped me up in the past. I know I’ll spend way too long making the list, and it’ll end up miles long.

I’m feeling like I need some balance.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have this problem too, everything wants to be done all at once, and it’s hard to see progress. But we are seeing empty floor space (even with giant dust bunnies) and that’s motivating.

What about just spending a pre-determined time on the cleanup? (if you’re aching and sore by mid-afternoon, then stop an hour before then). And instead of making a long list, just make a short one, and then only do half of it each day That way you won’t be wiped out by trying to accomplish everything all at once, and you’ll have accomplished something from your list. It’s like giving yourself permission to slow down.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Oh how I long for that feeling………………. I just hope and pray that eventually they’ll be able to put me on something that will help even a little.

Even the nuvigil for the sleep issues is having no impact now – I’m ready for a nap, have been yawning all day. (I think it’s boredom – lack of interest, and that it takes SO much effort to concentrate and avoid distractions that it literally wears me out)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)