Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Advice

Advice2010-12-03T00:22:48+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey all

Glad I found this site. I watched the special from a few years ago called “ADD and Loving It” Not sure I can be that happy but hey ya never can tell right?

Anyways. I’ve been diagnosed with ADD or now ADHD since I was a kid. I have been on all sorts of meds from when I was younger and even now am still taking meds (Concerta 20mg 1 a day and Prozac 10mg 1 a day). I take the Concerta for my ADHD and my Prozac for depression and irritability. Anyways I was doing some reading and wondered if I could get some advice. Now I worked for this company performing Helpdesk Support for a major Hospital in the Boston area. Worked there for a few years until slowly there were issues with my time management that always came up…Why couldnt I account for my time and what did I do during the day that made it a productive day. I made a decision to tell my manager that I was ADHD and see if there was some kind of accommodations that could be made. So I had my psychologist write up a nice letter detailing my situation and the recommendations he thinks would be beneficial and there weren’t out of the ordinary….But I was told there was nothing they could do and they fired me or as they put it a mutual separation from the company….This was a few years ago back in late 2008 December I think, Can I do anything about it now?

Thanks for reading

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you do anything about it now? Sure make the cognitive decision to start managing your time and energy better. The meds are there to help but it’s about being self aware and taking ownership of the differences between folks like us and the others. As for job loss, well impulse control and time management problems effect everyone. If you’re not finding anything rewarding about what you are doing for a pay check then find another way to get a pay check, but make sure it makes you happy. Can be risky when you have a family, but they are there for support and understanding. Be open to others, they may help you figure out a better path. Good luck.

FWIW – When I have to fill in my calendar at the end of the day, I have no idea what I did with the day, so I fill it in as I go, helps me take notice of how much time I waste.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)