Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Agendas

Agendas2012-04-16T18:12:43+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve noticed that people who generally say that ADHD doesn’t exist usually have an agenda to promote like their own type of alternative treatment to get people to “pay attention” or promoting some diet fad of theirs they say that junk food causes adhd and have a convenient solution that eating their diet will help. Stuff like that. Thoughts? Miguel

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I haven’t particularly noticed that specifically but that might be just that I haven’t noticed as opposed to it not being the case.

I guess those that advertise fixes for ADHD by changing one’s diet may have a point to some extent. If we eat healthily we feel better but eating unhealthily obviously doesn’t cause ADHD – it’s more likely that we might eat badly because we forget to eat, or don’t give ourselves time.

But on saying that, I found out I have a gluten intolerance and until I identified the problem, I was much more sluggish than usual.

Most of the people that I come across who don’t believe are just ignorant with no agenda as such.

Anyone who advertises a quick fix for ADHD is either deluded or a crook.

REPORT ABUSE

Cyclone

I think it’s difficult for those who don’t have ADD to really understand what it is. As hard as one may try, you can’t get into someone else’s head; see what they see, feel how they feel, and think the way they think. It’s natural to relate things to one’s own experience.

They may have an agenda, but it may not be malicous; they may think they’re really helping and have something to offer. I can forgive someone for that. But thinking they know better and actively preventing those in need from finding real help is wrong.

I’ve discussed my ADD with a few people and there seems to be two reactions. One, they say “Hey, that happens to all of us sometimes.” and, “WOW! I know exactly what you’re talking about!”. Those that respond with latter have ADD, and it’s a typical response on this forum. OK, so there are also those who understand it through study or from a friend or family member, but you get the point.

The reality is that ADD symptoms are common; everyone can relate to being distracted, or bored, or having a hard time getting started… at least some of the time, but it’s a matter of degree. When you have lived this way your entire life and found ways to cope, disguise, avoid or manage your way around it, you understand. So it’s understandable that some people think this is just a matter of “working harder” or “cleansing” or eating some magic beans (OK, well my doctor prescribed me magic beans that work, but…).

Anyway, just some thoughts.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)