Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

All My Life

All My Life2010-12-12T09:45:19+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story All My Life

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

All my life I’ve known I had this. I was, thankfully, diagnosed at a young age (elementary school). Ever since then I have been learning how to deal with ADD and learning ABOUT it (STILL after 16+ years I am learning about it myself and how to explain it to others). I still have to explain to all my new friends, coworkers and just people around me about my ADD so they can better understand me. Still I have people that get frustrated with me interrupting, being unable to wait, or blurting out things I shouldn’t have said, making it seem like I didn’t put much thought into it. People think I am spacey, my head in the clouds all the time, but really they just never understood that my mind is moving at a thousand miles and hour and I’m just watching it fly by.

I live in a family with ADD, so since I didn’t know any better, I was raised in an environment where you had to interrupt to get in your two cents no matter what. It was always a bit of a fight to talk, which was exciting but could be frustrating when the other person wouldn’t stop to listen. My mom, sister, Aunt, 2 cousins and even my grandmother had it! Guess you can tell what Thanksgiving is like! So when I’m with other people, interrupting as I usually do, it’s like a complete faux pas. There are two worlds I live in with two sets of rules, sometimes it’s hard to follow both!

I’ve had treatment to get me through school but now I’m considering just taking medication and seeking other forms of treatment for all around because things have gotten tougher. I’ve noticed I’m having hard times working on things I used to focus on easier. It’s as if it’s getting worse, but I doubt that’s the case.

I guess this was mostly to get my story out there. I know what other people are dealing with and I want them to know what I’m dealing with too!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I enjoyed reading your life story it’s very similar to my upbringing as a child. It sounds like you went through a very similar experience as I with family. In my family my dad and brother have it and refuse to be diagnosed or treat it. Again it seems your family might be doing the same thing. It’s like in one of the videos here on totallyadd.com. One of the doctors talks about it being all about us or you when it comes to self-learning-teaching and receiving help. Though that is our biggest disaster staying on task and following through with that help etc etc. So I applaud you strawberryhero! *cheers* It seems you have a great experience with your treatment and getting important tasks done. I myself stopped seeking treatment about 3-4 years ago. Which was a bad idea! No matter how hard I keep the peace with myself and learn from mistakes the giant potholes always find me either 6months to a year apart like clockwork. After fighting for so long and after so many impulsive decisions I’ve managed to put myself in a position where I can think clearly and start seeking treatment again.

I guess what I mostly wanted to say is don’t stop what works for you. If it works great keep trying it until otherwise. Keep strong and face the struggle dead on. Also what helped me when struggling with adhd was to turn your attention off yourself and to your loved ones and inspire them to seek treatment. Its a very counter productive thing to do when having a hard day. Lol hope some of this made sense. =)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)