Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Am I crazy, or does my DH have ADHD, too?

Am I crazy, or does my DH have ADHD, too?2011-03-08T21:52:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Am I crazy, or does my DH have ADHD, too?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ellamama

I’ve ADD; my 7 y.o. daughter has ADD. I recently completed a CHAAD-sponsored parenting course. The course included lots of information about ADHD and humorous ancedotes. By the time the course was over, I came to the conclusion that my DH isn’t trying to drive me crazy, I think he has inattentive ADHD.

Considering the possibility makes so much sense! But my DH doesn’t “get” it. He seems pretty determined that he’s right and everybody else is wrong. His “missing stuff” isn’t his lapse in attention–it’s everybody else’s lapse in being clear. Furthermore, as a neurologist, he’s especially sensitive to the suggestion that there’s anything “wrong” with his brain. He doesn’t even really accept our daughter’s diagnosis, “She exhibits ADHD *behaviors*. That doesn’t mean she *has* it.”

“Riiiight.” And then I go on to remind him what Dr. Denckla told us…

Anywho, do any of you have ideas about trying to get folks to “get” that they’ve got it?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, that’s a tough one. My family is ADD all over the place. My husband is probably ADD as well (finally thinking about getting a diagnosis!) Our kids, my sibs, nieces, nephews–all ADD (properly diagnosed, even!) In my husband,s family, the approach was: deny that there is a problem and it will go away. very sad because he could have had so much help. Don’t get me wrong, he turned out great and I love my in-laws a lot. I’ve just seen him struggle with things that could have been easier if he’d had some help. He didn’t think about getting a diagnosis until he saw ADD and Loving It. I had to buy a copy because none of the stations here are running it. Best investment I’ve made! When he saw the film, he not only saw his kids and wife it it, but also himself. Maybe watching the DVD would get your spouse to thinking… Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)