Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anphetamine Salts (Adderal) causing High Blood Pressure

Anphetamine Salts (Adderal) causing High Blood Pressure2010-02-22T18:24:12+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Anphetamine Salts (Adderal) causing High Blood Pressure

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

BAM123
    Participant

Can anyone tell me if they have had an experience with increased blood pressure after taking Adderal?

I am in my mid 40’s recently diagnosed with ADD and was prescribed Amphetamine Salts by my primary doctor. He knows my health history but he really did not do a full evaluation – listened to my symptoms and reviewed the online questionnaires I completed in conversation.

Any way my B P is always around 110/ 76 around there. I checked my B P on one of those super market B P machines and it was up to as high as 160 and in the 140’s on several occasions. When I went to his office my B P was 128 – which he said was normal but I felt still high for me given my normal B P.

The Adderal really helped my focus and concentration but I am concerned over B P increasing or doing damage to my heart. I am healthy and active. My doctor was not thoroughly convinced that it was just the medication that caused the HBP. I have a new born in the house and have not slept well in the past six months. He said that disturbed sleep patterns was a primary cause for H BP and that could contribute.

Does anyone have any experience with Adderal causing increased B P or being unsafe in this manner? Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Firstly I want to say I’m sorry because I”m very bad in English and specially in writting but i’ll try to answer in a way that you could understand.

I have a similar experience but with ritalin. My both parents have eavy high blood pressure problem so I’m very stress to suffer of this problem. Usually my BP was around 117 on 80 but when I started to take Ritalin it has raise to 158 on 110 except 3 or 4 times that it was around 120 on 85. Because sometimes, without difference in my way of life, my BP was at a correct level, I arrive to conclusion that it’s like a psychological problem: I’m so stress to have a BP problem, so need to take that kind of meds, or need to stop ritalin that is a very helpfull for me, have to live without riatlin, restart with school, family, friends, … problems, …that I make my BP raise by stress but it’s not a continous problem ( In the way that It’s just when I take my BP, it’s not all day long so I don’t think it will cause heart problem if it’s just the 5 minutes with the BP machine.)

But I stay unsafe with the meds, I’ very stress if a have headaches, heart pain, if my face it’s red, or other things like that. I’m never sure that my BP is correct. And unfortunatly it’s a symptome free problem, when you have the symptomes it’s because it is to a dangerous level,…

And take BP 4 times a day it’s not the solution.

I didn’t give you solutions, but It make feel better to know that I’m not the only person stress by my BP.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Dera Camillavamp – thanks very much for taking the time to respond,. I do appreciate your thoughtful advice. My situation is the family history is pretty good with B P and mine has always been excellent – so it freaked me out when it spiked. Maybe I was stresed thinking it would be high becasue of the meds and it became a self fulfilling prophecy.

I have purchased a hoime B P and am gping to expereminet by taking my B P a couple of times a day at different times off the med and then try again with the meds.

I’ll let you know what I find thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BP changes and increased HR can both happen with these inotropic agents. Determine if you have any other CV risk factors and consult your doctor regarding any other risk factors that you might have (diabetes, weight issues etc.)

http://www.caddra.ca/cms4/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=133&lang=en

REPORT ABUSE

Rich

I had my BP taken today (3/31/2011) – while on 20 mg of Adderall XR (my first time having it taken since starting meds)… it was 146/84.

The last few times I had it taken it was already on the higher side…

08/04/2010: 130/80

12/04/2009 : 145/97

11/13/2009 : 138/91

… should I be worried? should I NOT be taking this med?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey i take 20mg in the am and it will cause a small spike. what my MD did was put me on atenolol 50 mg. This is a beta blocker and a low dose. They use it for different things besides B/P. It is a great drug to reduce panic attacks etc. it has worked as a great combo for me with the adderall. I am 41 and i am a RN. The atenolol also helps me slow down and is good for the heart at our age LOL. I hope this helps. I also take effexor at night to help me sleep as my sleep pattern is awful. But since i have been taking the Effexor for 10 years now i sleep at least 7-8 hrs a night and i am less irritable the next day

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hello Rich, you are in the borderline range and need to get checked out. The lower number called Diastolic is the more critical number and should stay below 90. But don’t panic non-medical interventions are still in order to get the number down.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dr. J and posters! I saw this post and it caught my eye, so I couldn’t resist responding. I began taking Concerta back in December. Since beginning it, my doctor said she has noticed my BP slowly going up with each visit (I blame it on the stress of Military life). The highest it got was last week, at about 150/96. I was sick when I went in, so it was obvious to me that it was the cause of it. She decided to put me on a beta-blocker anyway, and gave me a Rx for Atenolol. I take one 25 mg pill almost every other day, usually when I feel my heart about to burst through my ear drum. I was switched to Adderal yesterday by my Psychiatrist. Concerta just hasn’t been cuttin’ it for me. I am going to take my first pill in a minute, so I’m wondering if there are any contraindications with taking a beta blocker along with Adderal, as there weren’t any while taking Concerta. I won’t take the beta blocker yet, just in case. I could always call my doctor, but it’s Saturday, and Naval doctors like their weekends :oD Thanks for any advice!

-Heather

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No contra-indication. B blockers are, however, contraindicated if you have a respiratory condition like asthma.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was put on adderall and heard all of hte bad with blood pressures but it actually calms me down including lowered my BP oddly enough but im super hyper active regularly….guess depends on the person

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Mine went up, but not dangerously, then returned to normal after a few months. I think it’s like anything, and your body needs to adjust. Just keep in touch with your doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

20 mg xr adderall, BP still low.

They are going to double the dose as my body has “adapted” and I no longer feel any effect of the adderall at all, and in fact, I am right back to my daytime sleep issues – I nearly fell asleep on the way back home today, and it was uncontrollable – and that’s only 8 hous after the 20mg of xr adderall.

I guess in some folks, adderall only lasts for about 8 hours, then you come off it.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Im on 60mg of Adderall xr and it only gets me 8-9 hours of benefit.

My bp was high at first, and has dropped back down… About 6 weeks in. I do get really flushed once in a while, but thats about it. I did have issues sleeping, but that has gone away as well.

My dr monitored me weekly, then biweekly until i found the right dose and my bp went down. Not due back for another 3 months!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I personally Notice a difference in heart rate when i take adderall and i have been using it for over 7 months.

Every day when i take it i get a “speedy” rush in my heart. This has been going on for months but not all 7.

I think if you are feeling in any way “questionable”…. Like.. If you took the initiative to read through this whole forum and are still reading when you got to this comment. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. Asking your doctor could possibly save your life. Maybe the way your feeling isnt normal, Adderall is a serious drug that people do die on and im sure you dont want that. hope this helps!

*I am not a doctor, if you need medical advice or help in any way please consult your doctor for this is only a opinion and not meant to be medical advice

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)