Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anxiety or ADHD

Anxiety or ADHD2012-08-26T16:39:01+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

allan wallace

😆 Okie dokie, cheerio then! The mindful stuff sounds intriguing!

Oh, which drugs did you have a fondness for bluna? I tried ’em all except heroin, and found that the ‘uppers’ made me feel ‘normal’. I especially liked trippy ‘e’, speed, and trips. The gunja never really appealed to me, and hash made me feel ill…but, apart from the odd ‘e’ and snort of coke over the last 10 years I haven’t gone back to how I used to be in the early/mid 90’s….man, I was a pig with that stuff! I can’t believe how much of the stuff I used to go through every day… 😯

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Distracting thoughts while doing mindful meditation are all part process, and not an indication that it’s something you can’t do.

When a thought distracts your focus from your breath, counting, or whatever the focus of your meditation is, do not get frustrated, or annoyed. Acknowledge the thought and go back to your focus. If that is difficult, then try to feel if an emotion is driving the thought. Again, don’t get involved in that emotion, but accept it without judgement, and go back to your focus.

There seems to be many things going on during this process. The practice of returning to a focus after distraction, Not letting our thoughts take us off to places we don’t want to go at this time, and taking note of our emotions, but not letting them control us. An important part of this, is to learn to refrain from judging everything as good or bad. This is not the same as ignoring thoughts and emotions.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yeah, it is hard to focus on something as easy as a step! It’s like marching somewhere and having thoughts that are as heat seeking missiles raining down from all directions! The missiles are inexhaustible, and just can’t seem to be deflected 😆

That point about quickly processing each thought struck me as being particularly pertinent and relevant. I’d never realised that there are ‘good’ trays, and ‘bad’ trays in our minds for the thoughts that are always being fired like an infinite supply of bottle-rockets from somewhere in our consciousness….I am determined to persist with this endeavour to ‘meditate’, or at least get as close as I can to that elusive state of a neutral mind. I still struggle to accept the claim that many people can sit down and not be bombarded by thoughts. It is beyond my understanding…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Allan, it has been some time since I’ve played around with narcotics, so I’m a little confused by the question?

I had a bad bout of anxiety today. I hate the feeling afterwards, the fear of fear. I often worry that if I have a day filled with panic then I’m destine to feel that way the next. I can’t seem to stay away from caffeine on medicine. It’s very hard for me to feel tired because I associate it with feeling slow cognitively. I’m at a new job, which is sure to blame for the panic. However, my anxiety involves not getting out of my head and the inabillity to concentrate. Medicine helps this but caffeine negates it, when in combination with the meds. Anyone else think this is true?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi BLuna79 – congrats on your new job. Starting a new job is stressful at the best of times but you’ll settle into it and hopefully the anxiety might lift.

To answer your question – for me personally Ritalin and coffee don’t mix. I think either one is beneficial but if I take both together then I’m a complete screwball.

Just as a matter of interest, do you take sugar in your coffee? I find when I take Ritalin, I need to make sure I eat regularly and have plenty to drink. The reason I asked about sugar in your coffee is because you might be craving the sugar rather than the caffeine. If I keep my blood sugar up I am more levelled. If I feel stressed on meds and I drink some fruit juice or non-caffinated soda water I feel much better.

When the Ritalin wears off I drink coffee to counter the inevitable headache. It’s not good to go cold turkey with coffee if you have drunk a lot of it in the past. So I have one at breakfast and another at night when the meds wear off. If I don’t take my meds then all day is one long caffeine hit. But for me, they just don’t mix.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

It’s hard not to feel anxiety these days. There’s a heck of a lot going on in the world, on the news. Sometimes I think most of the crap on TV is all designed to keep us afraid. It’s kinda like a “conspiracy”. I watch the news a lot, it’s interesting and it’s real dramatic stuff. I can’t wait for this election to be over with. It’s just making me sick. There’s a lot going on that can stress us out these days.

All that mindfulness and meditation really do work, it just takes a lot of time really building the habit of being more in control of our own thinking. Meditating every single day makes a difference. It’s definitely possible to make progress. It’s just gonna have to be slow. It seems that way for me. There are tons of different ways to meditate. No matter what you try it’s progress and will definitely help ease that stress. I’m sure a lot of folks with ADHD also have anxiety problems. It gets easier.

I’m the same way with caffeine as Scattybird. Is there some reason you have to drink coffee? have you tried decaf? I really like coffee, so getting decaf really helps. I almost never drink soda, all that super is real bad for ya.

Good luck, maybe google something like “meditation for anxiety”. That might help ya find something good.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

When the so called financial crisis hit Europe, I decided to stop watching the news until it’s over. It’s very frustrating to watch the news, when they decide to ask CEO’s of the banking organizations, what the solution to the crisis should consist of….. when the month before the government had to inject s#/tloads of money into those same banks to prevent them from going bankrupt. :|

I can recommend, cutting yourself loose from the newscast hype, and start looking for your own news (and more importantly background stories). Pick the news you actually care about!

(and in case of the US presidential campaigns….. watch Colbert and Stewart!)

I’m from Europe, so I’m a marxist anyway ;)… but at least they’re funny!

(AVOID FOX NEWS AT ALL COST) ;)

Good luck fighting through the nonformation tsunami everyone!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Yeah Robbo, you need to quit watching the news. It’s nothing but a bunch of hype and fear mongering, what you might call information pollution. Carry has a good point in that you need to search out you own news off some of the web sites. That way you can get both sides of the stories that interest you without all of the one sided and extraneous BS that comes with the TV broadcasts, . . . unless you enjoy being hyped up, anxious, and afraid.

I have found that the networks are extremely good at misleading the public with the truth. And they can portray the wise as foolish and the foolish as wise.

PS: On this, the eve of All Hallows day, I attempted to download, in support of this my most recent post, my final and scariest holiday avatar, a picture of Dan Rather. It was rejected, possible as being too offensive. So instead, I give you “Halloween Kitty.”

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks for the advise dudes. I agree that any of us that are having problems with stress/anxiety, are better off avoiding the news. It’s a matter of really limiting how much news I expose myself to also, I know my limits, I’m already really selective about what I watch. There are some good sources of fairly accurate, not so biased news on PBS. Actually, a lot. Maybe I made it sound like the news is a big source of anxiety for me. But I meant us, the folks in our community, in a general way. More about “us” than just me. Doh!

Anxiety is less of a problem for me these days, I didn’t mean to make is sound like it is. I just have basic cable, but there’s 2 PBS stations here, so I get a good enough selection, that’s my main source of news.

I hope you’re doing okay BLuna, maybe cutting back slowly on the coffee will help some.

That’s a scary looking kitty Kc, I went with the zombie theme this year. I think I’ll keep that funny zombie face for a while. It cracks me up.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Robbo

Good thread to read if you’re new here, or if you’re like me and still need some encouragement to keep on keeping on…

Hang loose

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Robbo – you just keep on keeping on.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)