Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anxiety / Temper

Anxiety / Temper2011-09-19T16:48:08+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Anxiety / Temper

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have ADHD and anxiety. Does anyone have a problem with anxiety and anger. I can easily lose my temper around my kids and have a hard time calming self down. What meds work for you?

REPORT ABUSE

dspicelady

@Inlike-originally, I had a lovely response to your post, regarding how many of us on this site can most likely relate to you in regards to anxiety and anger (either as an effect of ADD or as a co-morbidity). Near the end of my response, I actually tapped a key on the computer and everything disappeared!

For the next few minutes I yelled some words, threw something, panicked that I wouldn’t remember what I had wrote (which I’ve forgotten most of) and then re-read your question.

I guess you can say I have a problem with anxiety and anger!

Before taking Concerta, I may have thrown the computer across the room, or freaked out on a family member for some ridiculous infraction, and possibly gone off the deep-end for days. With the meds, I still react, but in a slightly less destructive way and I get over it quicker. Often, I am able to “wait a beat”, and allow myself time to control it altogether. Depends on time of day, how much sleep i’ve had, weather, etc.

So, I guess I’m saying that meds can and do have a positive effect on my anger, but ultimately, I have to take control and use that moment, the pills give me, to react in a more appropriate way.

Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

So far no meds. I luckily don’t really throw or break things (I hate having to fix or pay for them) and don’t hit people (none I can remember, although some really needed it I’m sure)

NEVER EVER have hit or even threatened a kid or family member or spouse (oh, I guess they ARE a family member)

I just yell a lot, everyone else on the road is a moron, that sort of thing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! I was trying to watch some video on this site and my computer was so slow it could not give a complete sentence without buffering. I had to get up and leave so I would not throw the lap top out the window. I went out and fed my horses and came back when I had calmed down. Thanks for your honest sharing dspicelady.

REPORT ABUSE

Zita

Yes I have ADHD and a temper too, I have learned over time to pick up on physical cues going on in my body that I’m about to loose it, seven times out of ten I’m able to say….”OK, my face is heating up, I need to walk away”. It’s only been in the last few years I’ve been able to do this, I leaned about picking up on physical cues when I was 22, I’m now 33!! It’s takes a while to learn to recognize the physical signs, but they are there.

The last time I wrote this some got really mad at me, and claimed that things just happened too fast for them and there was no way they ever would be able to do this. I never claimed it was easy, but it can be done. I hope this helped! :)

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I’m glad that works for you – doesn’t for me as the short fuse runs in the family on my mother’s side, Irish and German.

There’s no face heating up, no, nuttin. no signs that I nor anyone else can see. It simply happens. It’s a really quick “decision” if you want to call it that.

Even others have said they could never tell if I was going to or not – not even my wife can tell as I’m always on the edge according to her. I’m not really bad nasty, etc, just that I have zero patience with people most of the time.

The few times I feel myself getting really upset, and that’s a really different feeling, I go take a walk or go to my shop for a while and work. but the bulk of the time, I simply tell ’em off. I don’t go WAY off the deep end, no violence, so maybe I don’t have the violent temper some are referring to. If I break something, it’s subtle and unplanned. Maybe I’m working on fixing a part, and just worked up and am not careful. It’s not intentiional, I just don’t have my normal control at that time.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m wondering if any of the list of drugs for adhd work on impulse control .. hyper and anger … i know welbutrin doesnt.

Next on my public health pro’s list is Stratera .. not sure of it doing anything either… anyone have results ?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there, I am new on here…. just trying to figure this site out, can we not directly contact someone, I have read a few peoples blurbs on here and think OH my that is me to a T.. anyways new on here, and diagnosed with ADD.. have only tried Vyvanse and at a small dose, but it didnt’ really help, and made me really tired… I am hoping to try Concerta next……. I definately have agitation, and very hypersensitive to critisim, low self esteem, my feelings get hurt quick, and I overreact… argggg

REPORT ABUSE

SashaWalsh

god you mean that is the ADHD talking? im not a bad mom? ;)

there are times i find it SO hard to take the deep breath needed to calm down, and with a new baby and a 5 year old I am rarley able to do that now. I am actually looking into medication for the first time since my diagnosis at 19 (am 34 now).

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

It takes a lot to provoke me, but once I blow -I’m yelling, throwing stuff, and it’s absolutely not cool. It’s the most humiliating experience in the world because it’s soooo not who i want to be, or the example I want to set for anyone.

I really feel more emotionally under control when on Concerta though. I just feel like I have that space in time where I can think – “CHILL – it’s not worth acting a fool over!”. Unfortunately, when I am coming off the meds in the evening, it really leaves me vulnerable. If they had a 16 hour version of Concerta, I would seriously consider taking it, because It could really make a difference with my home life.

There’s nothing worse than doing or saying things with no ability to make a conscious choice or weigh the consequences.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I come from a large family of untreated adhd and I think other mental disorders.quick reaction and uncontrolled . no one in family would think before losing it at our house . so for me things are starting to change at my house on the up side.Thats thanks to all the meds I am taking.so my hope is that I haven’t damaged my kids like I feel I have been damaged.the plus for us is that we can talk about these things. so things are getting better.(meds help)

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

sorry, double post.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Inlike… I have a horrible temper and chronic anxiety. I don;t take medication. It doesn’t work for long term and is disastrous for the body. I meditate and do yoga, as well as work out with cardio/core stuff. Its the only thing that works for me. Now, before anyone launches into the “time” argument.. I am a single mother of 3 kids ages 10,5,4.. also a full time student studying Biochemistry. I make time to keep myself healthy.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)