Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Any IT people with a lot of passwords?

Any IT people with a lot of passwords?2011-11-23T21:15:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Organizing & De-Cluttering Any IT people with a lot of passwords?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

nellie

update on the fingerprint reader I mentioned above –

The gizmo I purchased was an Eiken digital privacy manager from AuthenTek which claims it will use your fingerprint to log on to your computer and websites.

I have a Mac and the package showed mac and windows compatibility however I don’t think it will let a mac user use all of the same functionality as a PC user. I purchased this from an online seller not the actual company. Should have read the fine print!

I installed the software but it was a year old and so had to go to download the new version which didn’t help.

I can sign on to my computer using a fingerprint and that was relatively easy to set up but I sent an email to tech support to find out if I can use it to sign on to a web site because that parts not obvious.

Anyway you windows PC people might be interested in this :

http://store.authentec.com/.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks, nellie, it looks interesting (I am a PC person) but one of the issues I would have is that my husband and I sometimes log into each other’s accounts, so we’d lose that. No big deal.

I can’t figure out what the difference is between the $19.95 and the $49.95 (which is supposed to be double-secure, but what makes it double-secure?)

And where are my fingerprints stored? At the FBI? (or CSIS, in Canada)?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Two things that help and increase security.

Keepass is a opensource app that keeps your passwords in a password protected database which you can back up. Only need to remember one password to get to all of them. has other useful features.

And you can double protect that by using another Open source application called Truecrypt that you can create encrypted hard drive space or thumb drive.

I have my Keepass password database in a password protected .Zip file saved to cloud based storage as well as emailed to my gmail account. I contains about 40 passwords and account names for different internet sites.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Donlad, will have to check out Keepass. Sounds interesting.

No_dopamine,

You can add different users – at least to log in to the computer but not sure about the website access.

I do find their website a bit confusing and find they don’t describe things very well and their help section isn’t all that helpful either . I think one can buy different software for the fingerprint readers so maybe there are varying levels of functionality . I didn’t notice the varying levels of security so will have to check that out.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks, nellie. let me know if you find anything out. I think that’s a great idea, I carry my fingers around with me all the time :P

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)