Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Any New Years resolutions?

Any New Years resolutions?2011-01-01T17:35:07+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Any New Years resolutions?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

First of all, a very Happy New Year to everyone here at TotallyADD!

For the past couple of weeks I’ve been thinking about making some changes to my life. Nothing drastic, just a few little things that have been upsetting me. First and foremost, this year I’m going to do something about my ADD. All these years it has held me back and generally made my life miserable. No more. I’m going to get a professional diagnosis and take the appropriate steps, including medication if need be. I’ll look further into meditation techniques, in the hope that it’ll help “quiet down” the brain. Secondly, I belong to several discussion forums, and at times I tend to post in an impulsive manner, which causes me no end of grief. I’m all done with that. Thirdly, and this is important, no more politics. I’m through caring about that stuff, and since there’s nothing I can do about the state of the world, or that anyone even gives a damn about what I think, I’m going to ignore all of it. After all, it is for my mental state of well-being!

Anyone else have any resolutions they’d like to share?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

haha… manage my ADD better?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought of this one the other day. I’m trying to find a teaching job but I haven’t been working as hard at it as I ought to–partly b/c the jobs are few and far between and partly b/c it’s the most frustrating thing I’ve ever done and I’m avoiding the task. I’ve read the book Getting Things Done and it had a great idea. When you make your to-do list, put down the next action. Like, let’s say you need to renew the license plates on your car. Don’t write “renew license plates.” Instead, break it down into next actions, like “find personal property tax receipt” or “make an appt for inspection.” So every day while I’m at work I’m going to come up with a next action on my job hunt and then perform it as soon as I get home. If I do that every day I’ll feel like I’m making some progress and maybe I won’t get so depressed about the whole thing and maybe I’ll even get interested enough to spend more time on it. Now, can I be consistent? That’s the hardest part for me–I had no problems disciplining myself to study for the tests that I had to take on my own, but the job hunt is pure misery to me. I’m trying to come up with a way to make it more interesting but I haven’t thought of one yet.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)