Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Any recent experiences with Concerta?

Any recent experiences with Concerta?2012-05-08T17:14:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Any recent experiences with Concerta?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you so much for this forum!

Feels so good to know I’m not alone… As for my personal story, I have been suffering from ADHD as long as I can remember (even though I was only able to “label” it in my late 20’s). Now, in my early 40’s I have taken the plunge and started taking medication- as I felt that my coping strategies just would not cut it any more.

My first attempt of medication, however, is not going well at all- and despite my pre-treatment (typical ADD) exclamation of ‘Hey, I’ll do whatever it takes, no matter how long it takes to find the proper meds’, I find myself wanting to jump of the med train as soon as possible.

I have been on for 3 weeks now… The first week on 27mg of Concerta was quite awesome, the second on the same dose quite zombie-ish, the third one (beginning of 54mg dosage) has me very nervous and jittery. After talking to my HP I reduced the dose to 27mg again- still trying to find a remnant of my pre-med self.

I’m soooo ready to all it quits and just go back to my old frazzled but energized self.

Just wondering if there are others in the same boat right now?

Thanks for reading – and have a great day,

Rebecca

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Sorry to hear you’re struggling to get it right, Rebecca, but it sounds like you’re on the train heading in the right direction now. There are loads of other treatment options if concerta isn’t quite the right one for you so keep fighting for it. You’re nearly there by the sound of it!

I’m a few days in to medication with concerta. I am only on 18mg and it’s already lost its oomph. The first day was one of the best days of my life – simply because I felt calm and capable and was able to get stuff done – nothing exciting happened and I wasn’t ‘high’ or anything. It was just wonderful to feel ‘normal’.

I’m getting some benefits but not enough since then and I’m keen to try to get the dosage right and I’m hoping that this is the drug for me because I’ve experienced what it can do for me.

I’ve asked the doc for an increased prescription and we’ll see what happens. She’s getting back to me.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

I have been on Concerta for months now. I found it difficult to tease apart the effects of the medication from everything else. My doctor was quite practical: “If you don’t think it’s doing anything for you, don’t take it for a day and see.” That was useful. I got a better idea of how it affects me – what it does and what it doesn’t do. Concerta has been very helpful at removing signs and feelings of boredom, but I am still very distractable. I have moved to a smaller dose (36) in the morning and then a small dose of Ritalin with lunch. The Concerta just wasn’t lasting.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I have been on Concerta about 8 months, and loved certain aspects of it. Unfortunately, my anxiety has started to get pretty unmanagable and I’m considering either lowering the dosage again, (I went fron to 54 to 36 awhile back) or taking a break from it completely, just to see if that’s the problem or not.

I would hate to stop having it. I feel that my ability to get things done, regulate emotions and – even drive my car – have hugely benefited, but I’m going to have to figure out what’s right for me.

Will have to work wtih the psychiatrist on it – which is scary. I hate the feeling that I am not in complete control… ugh

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow… haven’t been here for a couple of days… thank you sooo much for your responses- and your encouragement. Means the world to me to know I’m not alone!

The past weeks have been a roller coaster, but the way it looks now, things are running much better. I am very glad I did not call it quits after I started this thread.

Seems like my body needed some time to adjust to the medication. I have gotten in the habit of taking on 27mg pill in the morning and then judging whether I need an additional lift after an hour or so. I am feeling more like myself again- quirky ideas and all. However, the amazing feeling of my mind being clear has vanished… but I find consolation in the fact that “normal” people don’t run around thinking how great it is that their mind is clear either, LOL.

@ Tiddler: I totally agree with you- the first day on Concerta was just awesome… made me understand what I have been missing all those years, LOL

@Bill: I hear you about the distractedness… I’m still very distracted- but at least I can reign myself in, if needed.

@ Munchkin: Good luck with your finding the correct dosage- nothing worse like the feeling of not being in control…

Had a talk with my nurse earlier today and she suggested to put me on 36mg instead of 27… we’ll see how this goes :)

Let’s stay in touch and keep each other updated about our progress :)

Have a great rest of the day,

Rebecca

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi to you all,

Concerta has changed my life for the past 2 years. It gave me back my life. I started at 18mg, then 27, then 36 for almost a year and then 45 for six months, now 54 and soon 72. I tried to go from 36 to 54, but it was too strong too fast. I always keep spare pills in case I have to lower or increase the dosage. 18 mg are usefull for that. I tried to complement with Ritalin at the end of the day, but I was too nervous and my brain was racing too fast. It’s all about trying, testing and ajusting. It’s about what works for you. Good luck in finding the right dosage and the right med.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello quiscale,

thanks for reminding me to post an update, LOL…

have not been on the forum for quite a while- but I have to say that I am very glad that I did not give up on Concerta after the intial rollercoaster. I have been on 36mg of medication for the past week- and have to say that I am very pleased with the result.

I am my old quirky self- just far more disciplined and willing to take on tasks that require some effort. Yesterday I put together a vacuum cleaner … AFTER reading the assembly guide :). Never thought it could be that easy!

As an added benefit, I feel I am becoming more conscious of my body and it’s chemistry. The mix of morning exercise, my two cups of 50% decaf and a couple of puffs of nicotine from an electronic cigarette if necessary have been carrying me through my day without crashing at night.

Good luck to everybody out there that is still trying to find the right meds or dosage!

Rebecca

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Do people usually have to keep increasing this drug? Do people develop a tolerance to it?

I’m on 27mg and I have to say, I’m very pleased with it.

Does anyone else feel that their emotional responses are different? I feel like I’m finally beginning to really experience how I feel instead of having extreme but fleeting emotions and then intellectualising them because I’ve forgotten what I was feeling…

Very confusing but now I’m more aware of my mood and what I’m thinking and feeling and whereas this is good, it’s been a lot to deal with alone!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Tiddler,

great observation. I can completely relate to the change of emotional response.

Becoming more aware of my own feelings makes me act and react more assertive in my daily life. Does not go well with everybody, but that’s just the way it is ;)

Also, even though I still consider myself a very empathetic person, I have been able to set emotional boundaries. It feels like for the first time in my life I can allocate mental resources for developing some feelings of self-worth instead of constantly reflecting on my own and other’s feelings and emotions.

All in all, I have been feeling much more relaxed in the face of disaster (well… I am an IT tech, LOL).

Maybe it’s the combination of midlife crisis and ADHD medication- but nothing in my life seems like it was before. And that is a good thing indeed :).

Have a great day everyone!

Rebecca

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been on Concerta for years (maybe 5 or 6). To answer another post, I haven’t changed my dosage and don’t feel the it is getting “weaker” over time. I like it way better than Ritalin; there are no highs and lows. However, I take it in the morning around 8am and around 6pm I experience a energy “crash” which I fix by lying down for about 15 minutes. 36mg dose seems to work for me; 27mg wasn’t enough and I don’t remember if I tried anything higher. My job requires a great deal of energy and concentration (I currently need to do complex mathematical tasks requiring statistical analysis) and the Concerta lets me function at 100%. I wonder if the “crash” is mostly due to the fact that I expend so much energy and it’s just my body giving out when I get home.

Anyway, there are many types of medication and you will need to work with your doctor to figure out the best one for you. I went through 3 kinds of medication (Dexedrine, Ritalin, Ritalin SR) before we tried Concerta. This testing process took years since we also experimented with different dosages. My ADD counselor was on Adderall and asked if I wanted to try it but Concerta worked so well for me we didn’t bother.

Anyway, I remember how life was before the medication and I can’t imagine going back to that state.

Good Luck. Keep trying.

Felix

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I’ve been having serious appetite problems after taking Concerta for around 6 months. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the Concerta, but I started taking short acting Ritalin so I could eat meals around the times when it wears off.

Just an experiment, and I have no idea if Concerta is to blame. Just trying to muddle through…

Munch

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

PS – Overall it’s been a wonderful help for me – the Methylphenidate in general…

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

I also find that a nap helps when I lose energy. But then, I was taking naps on weekend before I was diagnosed.

My dosage has crept up, but I recently worked on a different scheme. We reduced the dosage to 36 Concerta in the morning and added 10 Biphentin (i.e. not slow release) with lunch. That has helped.

When I discussed dosage with my doctor, she said if you want to know what the medication is doing for you, stop taking it for a day and observe the differences. That was very helpful in separating the effect of the drug from other things I’m doing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ munchkin:

I hear you about the appetite problems… I used to love to eat. Now that I’m on Concerta, it’s kind of frustrating to be hungry without having an appetite. Lost 5 pounds so far (which I don’t mind) but don’t think I want to go any lower on weight… So sad when it gets to a point where binge eating consists of two slices of pizza, sigh!

I pray that my appetite will come back eventually- so sick of drinking protein shakes ;)

Have a great weekend everybody,

Rebecca

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many women I know have lost quite a bit of weight on Concerta, around 30 pounds. But my now 11 year old son, last year, gained 30 pounds with the same med and lost 15 with Vyvanse afterwards. I guess no 2 people react the same…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)