Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anybody have experience/comments related to Cogmed?

Anybody have experience/comments related to Cogmed?2011-03-04T17:05:29+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Anybody have experience/comments related to Cogmed?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ellamama

I know there’re plenty of inteventions out there which claim to “cure” ADHD, etc. Likewise, as an evaluation researcher by trade, I’m particularly suspect. That said, I’ve been hearing good things about Cogmed. It looks like there’s some decent data showing efficacy (of course if *I* were doing the study I’d have done it differently…). Of course, it’s pretty darned pricey (not covered by insurance).

Before I get flamed, let me make it clear that I’m not asking about Cogmed as a stand-alone treatment for ADHD. As I understand it, it’s specifically helpful for improving working memory. As such, I see it as something to augment everything else going on.

I’m curious of anybody out there has had personal experience with using the program. I’ve signed up for a webinar later this month to learn more. I’m interested not only for myself but my daughter, too.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Though it does appear that the treatment shows promise, you’re wise to proceed carefully, especially when it’s so expensive, and not covered by insurance.

Research it thoroughly, from reputable sources, and then discuss it with your doctor and psychiatrist, to get their professional opinions.

As a researcher, you’re probably well aware that evidence can be either anecdotal (people have tried it, and it’s worked for them), or clinical. Anecdotal evidence is highly suspect, since it’s neither impartial nor scientific, and people are often paid for giving glowing testimonials.

As for clinical testing, the most critical thing to consider is the nature of that testing. Did it involve a large enough, random enough sample, for a long enough time? And was it in the form of completely impartial, double-blind testing, with quantifiable, repeatable results? If not, then it’s no better than anecdotal evidence. And insurance companies are notoriously unwilling to cover the cost of a treatment unless there’s solid evidence that it works.

After you’ve thoroughly investigated it, including the time and money commitment necessary, make your *informed* decision.

REPORT ABUSE

alaskaron

I posted this on another forum here but just wanted to repeat it here:

Is anyone using Cogmed now? Been a while since the last post here, but we are just starting it.

I am also very interested in anyone who has had success getting Cogmed into a school system, so that it becomes free for students in need. Overcoming budget restriction arguments is a big one — Cogmed is apparently down to about $80/student cost to the District if they buy a bulk permit.

Otherwise, locally here we can get Cogmed through our neuropsych for $500 now.

Lumosity and other consumer sites may not be geared to the same working memory targets as Cogmed. I don’t know. but the issue with Lumosity-type sites are whether the gains there are generalized to memory across longer time frames, whereas Cogmed is geared to shorter memory in reading and math.

thanks for any response,

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)