Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anyone else feel sleepy on Adderall?

Anyone else feel sleepy on Adderall?2011-06-07T10:51:03+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Anyone else feel sleepy on Adderall?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I live in the states and so have a prescription for Adderall IR, which I like because I can control my dosing. Some days maybe I only need to be useful for 4 hours, others maybe 8… Anyway, I have found that about 2 hours after taking a dose–seems it usually the first dose of the day–I feel quite sleepy and foggy for about 30-45 minutes. Doesn’t do much for being focused, let me tell you! I start to perk up again as it’s finishing up its 4 hours of effectiveness.

Also, I don’t think the Adderall is as effective as Ritalin, but Ritalin wasn’t available in May so my doc wrote for Adderall. I’m wondering if anyone else gets the sleepies from Adderall and also if anyone else has experience with Ritalin vs. Adderall (which worked better for them?)?

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I do much better on Adderall XR than I did on Concerta (methylphenidate). The latter made me really sleepy and fogged my brain up. While I can feel the Adderall on board, it doesn’t seem to slow my thought processes down as much or have the same drowziness side effect.

Everyone reacts differently on meds though so what works for me might be the opposite for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m on Adderall XR, and I definitely don’t feel sleepy. Just the other night, I was given some with my evening meds at the rehab facility where I’m recovering from foot surgery. It was “Nessun dorma” (None shall sleep) until 5 the next morning! I now screen the evening pills before I take ’em.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was on Adderall XR and it pretty much lasted all day and NIGHT!………It seemed that I never came down from it ;)……..I would be up all night too!…….On a good note tho…..I really did like the Adderall XR and it’s effectiveness where my ADHD is concerned. After 2 weeks I started noticing a tightening in my chest so my Fam. Phys. pulled it from me without giving it a little longer to see if side effects subsided. I don’t have high BP or heart probs?………A little discouraged about that because I really did like the Adderall XR for the most part. All meds are going to have some sort of side effect, but most subside after some time :) How long have you been on this med???

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started Adderall XR five days ago. I start on 5mg and am slowly working my way up… currently on 20 mg. I felt sleepy and sluggish all day on 10mg and 15mg. I also wasn’t getting a very good clinical benefit. So far 20mg is okay.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’m to start 5mg adderall xr this week.

i was on 5 mg x3 ritalin generic but after 3 weeks of working well things took a turn and i ended up super sleepy all the time.

afraid the sleepy bit would increase with and increased dosage my doc and i decided to try adderall xl (i’m in toronto & we don’t have adderall ir here)

survivor05…what dose did you take?

kranstar…sounds like upping the dose reduced the slug?

bibliophile…what dose to do you take?

i’m nervous about all these meds. period. is sluggishness better than insomnia? i don’t know.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been taking Ritalin or methyphenidate for 20+ yrs. This recent shortage, which I am so annoyed about, caused my doc to prescribe something else. I was taking Adderall 20mg xr. Well I had not realized 2 weeks into it what was going on. I remember thinking I felt more relaxed. Thankfully the PBS here had another run of the ADD and loving it. I was glued to the set and realized just how out of it I had become. My car looked like three people were living in it, there were large piles of clutter everywhere, I was not getting anything done and I didn’t care either. I wasn’t thinking clearly, I started to self medicate with wine and even had some cigarettes…I thought I was losing my mind. Needless to say I contacted my doc and managed to find some Ritalin SR 20 mg, I take twice a day. I feel like myself again, an amazing difference. Funny thing, my older brother, dx later than me, happened to call, when I shared my recent “mind loss” on Adderral he exclaimed ” I went out of my mind on 2 weeks of Adderral!” I thought that was quite interesting.

Is any one else out there as confused about the shortage as I am…I mean it was really scarry….does anyone have any info? I live in US in Maryland.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been taking generic Adderall (20 mg twice a day) for 3 or 4 years and in the past 6 months or so, I have noticed that I get very sleepy about 30 – 45 minutes after I take it – which is so helpful since that is when I am driving to work. The sleepiness goes away after I get to work and get busy BUT I still suffer from some level of sleepiness pretty much all the time. And it does not seem to be related to how much sleep I get the night before. I guess I’m going to have to look at changing medications.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adderall does not do this to me, but sometimes caffeine makes me sleepy which doesn’t seem to make any sense whatsoever.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)