Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

apps for add

apps for add2011-07-03T00:47:15+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have recently bought a new android phone….and went through my data allowance within the first few days 🙄 Hmmm. Not good to have internet access in your pocket lol. I have been trying to use the generic apps that come with the phone to help organise things, but it’s taking time to get used to. Mostly I want to get rid of some of the “to do” notes I have lying around everywhere, and it’s certainly helping with that. I have a list of all the payments I need to make, so I can check it when I get paid to ensure I don’t forget anything. I also have a list of things I need to do. I can add and remove things from these lists as I go and they still look neat (unlike my bits of paper with crossing out everywhere).

My diary system works for me, so I probably won’t change that – I have a calendar by the fridge and a pocket size diary that I take with me. I get monthly rosters and when I get one, I write it into my diary then transfer it onto the calendar when I get home, checking that appointments match up as I do so. It took ages to get into the swing of it, but it works now (most of the time!). The family know that if it’s not on the calendar, then I won’t remember it! Remembering birthdays is still beyond me, unless there is an associated party, but appointments and stuff rarely escape my notice now, as the calendar/diary habit has become so ingrained in my life. I must agree that writing things down certainly helps them sink in. But electronic organisers and such certainly have their place too. I love that I can keep all my contact details on my phone without having an address book. And it makes it easy to check weather, and look up directions if I forget to do it before leaving home. I can store books on it, and music. Lots of handy features that I can keep in a pocket.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi KrazyKat Have you tried Astrid Task/Todo List for Android?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/astrid-task-todo-list/com.timsu.astrid

It’s offline and has good reminders.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I’ll check that out and give it a go. Other than calls, I am avoiding my phone right now, as I don’t want to go over my data allowance more than what I have. I’ll have to find out a way of monitoring it, as well as work out if I can turn it off for when I am home and can access our wireless system. Obviously there are some background programs that use the data allowance, as well as things that download without getting permission first. I have 1/3 less data allowance on my laptop and still don’t use it all in a month, so I am not sure what I’ve done to chew through it so fast on my phone. “New Toy” syndrome stikes again lol!!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

The GTD method is great. I used Omnifocus for a while but that is a mac app. I can’t remember if there’s an iphone version but worth looking at. I also use the ipad for note taking. I find it easier to use in a way because it’s bigger. maybe it’s just because I can see better LOL

i also found some mind mapping software and installed it on the computer but to be hones I prefer using paper. It’s just more immediate. If I’m in a real organized mood I would use the software but I find that sometimes I just waste a lot of time making things pretty so have opted for the more old-fashioned tools lately!

After posting on this thread earlier on I have been curious as to the neurological connection between writing and information retention. I didn’t get much info in my googling but I did find an interesting article and a productivity site. Seems to be a bit advert heavy but there are some articles that would apply to a lot of our ADD productivity issues

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/writing-and-remembering-why-we-remember-what-we-write.html

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I use http://www.rememberthemilk.com and it’s app for sorting out my to-do lists using a GTD concept. It works great on my android phone and keeps me focused on the things I have to do, I write everything in it, from my calls to do to my long term projects.

I take 10 to 20 mins a day to keep it organized, usually at night so I know what needs to get done the next day, keeps me on track with my bills and sends daily emails with the tasks to do.

You can also write notes next to the tasks to do so I dont have to look for addresses or phone numbers. I have sorted out my folders so that I can tag different tasks so that when i go to lets say my errands folder, or home-depot folder, all the errands tasks that involve home-depot pop up. It avoids me a second or third trip to Home-depot because I forgot the thing I was going in there for…lol. When I go to my Calls folder, all the calls I haveto do are there with the numbers and all, so I make it a point to get done with and to them all at that moment.

It works great, and it’s what keeps me focused on my daily responsibilities.

However, I do not freak out when procrastinating, just try to make it a goal to get the most done. You have to see it as a tool to help you be more productive, the 20 mins It takes to keep it organized is well worth the time I would lose if I didnt have a plan. I couldnt run my business without it.

As long as your app doesnt make you put pressure on yourself, this one has a postpone button for the tasks, I use it shamelessly, because If I did one thing of the list. it’s already more then I would do without it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently bought an iPod Touch. Up untill now I used a Quo Vadis agenda. I have my week on a page and a to do list on the next, for each week of the year. The thing is, there is not enough space to write everything down so I’ve got lots of papers in it and it’s getting thick! I had been wandering about getting rid of it if possible to work with my iPod alone (and not have to carry both around). But, after reading this topic, I decided that I’ll use both but leave my paper agenda at home and carry the less cumbersome iPod. I’ll do as some of you mention; transfer all my extra notes in the iPod plus different little things, and transfer the important stuff in my paper agenda when at home (I’ll have an alarm setup daily to remind me of it lol).

Thanks for the ‘errands’ tip pete-puma. I’ll look it up :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.joeisanerd.com/apps/RoundToIt

I love, love, love this app on my iPhone. Round to it saved my job and my sanity! I started using initially just for work but I use it for everything now. Here is why I LOVE it:

You can have categories and subcategories. (work, home, birthdays, groceries,medicine, I even have a templates category)

You can attach your “to do” to a contact on your phone and you can call or email with just a tap

You can make it recurr daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or not at all

You can upload lists from the website (it’s a little primitive but faster than using your phone for large lists.

You can email lists to yourself (or someone else I suppose)

It pops a reminder on your screen 30 minutes before it’s due (wish I could adjust that feature) and continues to pop up until you check it off as complete. (or in the case of procrastinating, change the due date or time)

It makes a cool zapping noise as you check things off your list.

I seriously considered getting an iPad just for this app! It can get a little annoying if you aren’t getting things done in time, but for me that’s the point. I suggest starting with just a few items until you get used to it. I had to play with the settings a little but it’s a really great tool for my scattered methods. Hope someone finds this as useful as I have!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got Errands and love it! (Thanks pet-puma :D) Though not used to it yet. I’m still partly using the regular calendar. I must say, I’m french and would probably use it more if I could find the french version of it. Anyone knows what it’s called?

I also found a very nice free app to help relax: Relax Melodies. It’s got lots of different background sounds that you can put together as a favorite selection. You can play any sounds you like to relax on for a set amount of time thanks to a timer. Really nice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool. Must look up the relaxing thing. Though I have found audiobooks work pretty well to send me off to sleep lol. Then I get stuck later, trying to work out where in the story I got up to before I zoned out enough to stop following the storyline :?

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I posted here, but I installed a new organizer a little while ago and it’s the only one that I have gone back to and continued to use. It’s called My Life Organized http://www.mylifeorganized.net/

My problem with to-do lists is how they keep growing. I would see one thing and that would spark two or three others, until the whole thing got overwhelming. What I like about this system is that you enter everything, organized however you want. You then assign contexts (like work or personal) to them and rate them on importance and urgency. The system then creates the to-do list. The power comes when you filter the list by context, so that you see only the work items or the personal items. Then it’s not so overwhelming.

As was said above, the trick is to look at it every day. I’m still working on that!

Bill

REPORT ABUSE

kempdr1

I noticed that is a while since anyone posted on this topic.  For those who use  GTD or would like to try it there is a new platform called IQTell.  iqtell.com

Currently the service is in a public Beta and it is currently free.  It is web based and there are free apps for the iPhone and iPad.  I believe an Android app is also available.

What I find valuable is that all of my email accounts (work and personal) can be synced within IQTell and the system is very flexible,  The system allows me to capture all of my tasks, ideas, etc. which is the key to GTD.  I have found that I am organized and can keep track of all my daily details.

An important aspect of this approach is that it allows you review and prioritize all of your tasks.  Like any system you have to be consistent and work with it daily.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Thanks for the tip @kempdr1.

My problem is,   “you have to be consistent and work at it every day”. I wonder if there’s an app for that? 😉

REPORT ABUSE

kempdr1

I can appreciate your comment as i have had to work at the consistent part.

Each day I remind myself I don’t have a choice but to work the GTD system.

The alternative is chaos which is something I can do, however there are no

rewards.

My suggestion is start by making a positive choice to implement a system.  Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)