Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Are you a striver, a slacker, or a fantasist?

Are you a striver, a slacker, or a fantasist?2012-02-05T16:25:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Are you a striver, a slacker, or a fantasist?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

Simon Kuper, writing in the FT, suggests there are three basic human “archetypes”: striver, slacker, and fantasist.

“The third human type, the fantasist, lives inside his imagination. Fantasists have little desire to impose themselves on the world. A fantasist might spend years writing a short story, then discard it. Fantasists are never efficient and always miss deadlines…”

Hmmm.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ad2c1d62-4c8b-11e1-b1b5-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1lWbQ3czU

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I strive, but I never meet deadlines or expectations so I am perceived as a slacker. I internalize things. I don’t explode with anger, unless pushed too far, and I don’t give voice to my frustrations. I generally retreat into my own world. I am all 3.

If he is the same one who got his start as a sports writer? It always struck me that his talents were wasted on jocks. I am doubtful, however, that ADD’rs fit neatly into those three categories. Most of our problems dealing with the world, stems from the fact we don’t fit any categories.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

All three depending on the situation………

Striver…..if what I’m doing is close to me, very close…..it has real meaning to me and feeds me. Then I’m an over the top striver…..hyper striver!! Yes……definitely.

Slacker…..hmmmm, yup….kinda sorts gotta do these things…….life administrivia stuff…….a chore…..a mundane activity…….then I’m just poopie about it. Lazy bastard….but I’m good with that too.

Fantasist……yes often…..ahh too dream….that is where my visionary side dwells…good things brew in there…..see 100 or more……..maybe (1), maybe… comes to fruition. Great things fall out of there for me. Good friends I have, can walk through there with me, and share their fantasist visions as well….that is kind of a requirement to be a close friend to me.

Curious thread….fun though…

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

You mean, I have to pick just ONE?

Impossible!

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

I would imagine all of us exhibit signs of all three characteristics. But if you had to pick just one – one that seemed more prominent than the rest, which would it be?

Mine would be the third one. Big time.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Wow I agree with all of you! Too fat you read my mind!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It kinda covers the waterfront doesn’t it Nellie. Pick one he says….sure, now Wolf want’s a decision, and from me a potential Slacker none the less …….. hahahahahahaha ….stay tuned.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Slacker and fantasist. I’ve never seen the point in striving.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)