Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Are you talking about your condition?

Are you talking about your condition?2010-08-26T18:52:29+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Are you talking about your condition?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to know if you talk about your ADHD to others?

To your friends, your colleagues or your family?

Personally, I received varied responses which made me believe that it was better not

to talk about my condition.

I find MY right medication and dosage. I’m more stable in recent months.

I perform better and I am less agitated.

So much more stable! So, in these circumstances, why speak?

Sometimes it’s stronger than me.

I need to say: It’s not my fault, you know, I have ADHD!

Do you have the feeling that your condition is the perfect excuse for all your faults?

Do you consider ADHD as a problem in your life?

Are we similar?

I am interested in your answers.

Phil

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

People talk openly about having most other disabilities. What it boils down to is the other people knowing just what AD/HD is. It’s not being scatter brained, off the wall hyperactive or a lazy day dreamer. That’s what I’m sure the vast majority of the general public know it as. When you talk about it they are probably feeling uneasy just out of lack knowledge. Then you don’t get as warm a reaction.

Learning what it does and being able to break it down to those that have no idea what you experience will go a long way.

Now. Throwing out there ” It’s not my fault, you know, I have ADHD ” may not be the best way. It’s not an excuse. You might as well be saying ” It wasn’t me! It was the One Armed Man!” If you were late because you lost track of time etc, ” I have a condition that effects my time perception and prioritizing.”

You also just can’t say this is why and hope it’s shrugged off…You need to at least show that is an effort being made. Personally while at work I wear a stopwatch around my neck to keep track of my lunch and break times.

It’s going to take being engaged, educated and committed to managing this better. It’s hard as hell! The nature of what we have is against us. Get a good Doc, coach and support system in place. us the meds to help get you going in the right direction. Trust me! A month or so ago I was totally lost and almost hopeless. I’m far from where I want to be but I’ve started to set up those supports etc… and it’s the best thing ever!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I talk about things that people can identify with – struggles, emotions are things all of us face. It doesn’t always need a name. My husband talks much more about his condition than I do. He names them and explains them with such authority that people respect what he says in general. Or they don’t argue anyway!

For me it works better to just talk about how I struggle with organization or keeping my schedule. Others have problems that are similar enoug. h that we can identify with each other. I find that when I talk about how much harder I have to work to accomplish my goals others can identify. That makes me feel like I’m not alone.

All in all it does not matter if I think I am working harder than they are. I don’t know if I am. And deciding that its just not important has allowed me to avoid a “me vs them” outlook. I did feel like that for a while andit hurt me. I still certainly notice when I am different but it is easier to deal with when I try to focus on where we are alike instead of hoe different I am.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)