Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Asking for Accommodations–it's not what you think

Asking for Accommodations–it's not what you think2015-09-18T16:40:41+00:00

The Forums Forums Parenting & ADD Asking for Accommodations–it's not what you think

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

playermom

Has anyone asked for accommodations from schools for their own ADHD, not their kid’s? Things like receiving communications through email instead of or in addition to regular mail, flexibility on deadlines, deadlines for paperwork kids need clearly listed in a single document?

When dealing with your kids and their 504 and IEP plans, deadlines are missed, papers lost, and parents not following through looks bad when agencies have to review cases and looks like parents are tacitly agreeing when really it was forgotten or misunderstood.

Would this be a brand new thing or has someone already laid out how to make this happen?

Would this be an awful example to set? Would it set back ADHD people as unable to care for their kids (paperwork anyway)? How would it feel to have to tell almost total strangers who already feel like they may be doing to much for your kids about the parents’ diagnosis and admit failure in such basic chores as paperwork and scheduling?

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Our video called Earning a Degree With ADHD covers a whole slew of accommodations that you can ask for.  Some are more for University students, but there are a lot of options around testing, note taking, seating, priority scheduling for students with sleep issues, and more.

http://totallyaddshop.com/products/earning-a-degree-with-adhd#.VfyLe0v7opE

The fact is that more and more colleges and universities are realizing that ADHD people can be creative, brilliant, and hugely innovative. But they may struggle with Learning Disorders like Dyslexia and so on.  So definitely check out the video. It’ll save you hours of struggle and time and money.

(And it’s got some great experts.)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi playermom – good question. I have no idea but that’s never stopped me offering an opinion in the past! 🙂

My understanding of your question is that school is ‘children’s school’ and not ‘your’ school (as in USA University). If I’m wrong then sorry and don’t read on! 🙂

I think it would depend on the school and the teacher. I think where I am from I’d be scared that the school would misunderstand and tell social services the child wasn’t being looked after properly – but that’s probably my complete paranoia and mistrust of ‘the system’. It’s probably better to ask for clarification and some extensions than for them to think anything else.

It also depends on whether your child has ADHD or not. If s/he does, it might be best to tell the school that you need some reinforcement of deadlines etc. to ensure there are no misunderstandings. If s/he doesn’t have ADHD then I think I’d first of all try to put some strategy in place such as a box that all letters from the school go into as soon as child walks through the door, or as soon as they are delivered. Then develop a habit of having a ‘school admin.’ hour with your child every night. It might not be needed, but if it’s a habit then it will stick. Of course it depends on your other commitments too – easier said than done and all that.

Your idea of one sheet of paper with all their deadlines and requirements is good. I don’t see why teachers can’t organise that – it’s a good idea.  Maybe you could suggest that to the school. I suspect most parents would value it. I’ve just put in a similar request where I work and it’s been taken up because even the ‘linears’ think one document with key deadlines on will makes things easier. My problem is remembering to look at it!

I guess ultimately it depends on how often deadlines are missed. With regard to your question about whether it would be a bad example – I think anyone that asks for help when it’s needed is showing a good example and a realistic approach.

As I said, this is just opinion. There might be some parents out there that have discussed similar issues with their children’s school.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)