Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Asthma and migraine

Asthma and migraine2012-11-05T21:39:41+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs Asthma and migraine

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.psychweekly.com/aspx/article/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1426

Hi,

Has anyone else had the experience of either asthma and migraine with symptoms of ADHD? I’m not diagnosed and have just started researching on behalf of my son and I now think I have it too.

My boy has had asthma for about 4 years (he’s 6) and I have been having migraines since I hit puberty and very frequently in pregnancy. I’ve also started having them again now I’m peri-menopausal (oh joy!).

Just be interested to know if anyone has a link between asthma and ADHD and migraines and ADHA.

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

hi! i don’t know of any researched/scientific study linking ad/hd, but i do have all 3…sort of.

i have a sub-type of asthma, exercise induced. i also had a paradoxical reaction to terbuteline(sp?) – a medication that was used primarily as a broncho-dilator for asthma patients but was also used to stop pre-term labor – the reason i was given it…..and it caused broncho-constriction/difficulty breathing/asthma-like symptoms. very scary -i think they stopped using that med because too many incidences.

anyway, history of migraines too, worst in my 30’s and early 40’s, but were improved during pregnancy(s), and, interestingly, virtually eliminated since starting med for ad/hd…..which leads me to think there very well could be a connection there!

it’ll be interesting to see others experiences/any other connections.

another connection i was wondering about but had not gotten any responses – is there increased incidence of hypermobility with ad/hd? my son and i are both hypermobile, i have a diagnosis of add, and i suspect he also has it, but currently he has diagnosis of asd.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Sorry to be thick but I don’t know what hypermobile is? Or ASD.

I’ll see if I can find any links about migraine and asthma with ADD or ADHD

Ali

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

I don’t know about a link between ADHD and migraines, but there is a definite link between hormones/perimenopause and migraines. I didn’t have one until I went into perimenopause. Lord help, they were awful and just knocked me out for the day.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

One possible link is magnesium deficiency. Studies have found Mg deficiency in most children with ADHD. I think it’s assumed adults are the same. So far there is only one study looking at Mg/B6 supplementation for kids with ADHD, but the results were promising.

Mg deficiency is common with asthma and migraine sufferers.

Ali, do you live in a soft water area like Cornwall.

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

sorry ali – you’re not being thick – i tend to abbreviate and/or not include important relevant information in my “conversations” – i gotta work on that.

asd is short for autism spectrum disorder – referring to people who fall (have been diagnosed) “somewhere on the spectrum of autism” – like ad/hd, there is quite a large spectrum, with diverse presentations.

hypermobile, i was referring to joint hypermobility. women generally tend towards some more than men, and that joint laxity increases considerably during pregnancy due to the hormone relaxin (in preparation for labor and delivery) and then returns to their “normal” following birth. an example to help explain, for most adults, when you fully extend/straighten your arm, it appears there is 0 degrees/ no angle at the elbow. if someone has very tight joints, or there has been an injury at the elbow, the person may not be able to fully extend to 0, and with some visible degree of flexion at the elbow at full extension that would be less than normal mobility, or a hypomobile joint. but if a person fully straightens their arm and the extension goes beyond straight and the angle created is in extension, that joint is hypermobile. if that type of hypermobility is seen throughout the body, more or less, then the person is considered to be hypermobile.

a couple of years ago, i was goofing around with my kids chasing them around the hallways in a medical building following an appointment, when i suddenly and uncontrollably went flying forward, breaking my fall with my hands and arms. to this day i can’t explain how it happened….but anyways, a few weeks later i went in to one of my dr.s requesting xrays of my elbows. he did a quick exam, and said he didn’t see any need, as i displayed full range of motion. i had to explain that the apparent normal range he was seeing was quite abnormal for me, as i’m usually well into extension when i extend.

my son is even more hypermobile than me. when sitting and leaning back, resting his weight on his extended arms, his elbows get so hyperextended it freaks out his father and he makes him change positions!

and ipso, that makes me wonder if perhaps magnesium is used as a binder in adderall, and provides some additional , even if unintended , benefits? i’ll have to look into that! i’ve been wondering why i’ve had this wonderful “side effect” of virtual elimination of severe headaches since starting adderal, when i had suffered for so many years almost daily .

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

yep, magnesium stearate is listed as an inactive ingredient. i’m wondering now if/how much of that is bio-available, and if it is, is it enough to create a change in symptoms if your body is mg deficient? that would be a trip if all these years i could have just added some mg to my diet instead of polluting my body/mind with a mutitude of various headache meds…..

i really have to go for a blood test…….

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

As I understand it, magnesium stearate is just a binder in many pills and is not very bio available. Some worry that it reduces the bio availability of whatever else is the pill.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have all three, have had migraines for at least 18 yrs, with no idea what the cause is even after extensive testing. I was diagnosed w/ adult ADD this last March and started adderal. The migraines have decreased significantly!!! I’ve never known of any correlation with mg deficiency and asthma or migraines. I will have to have my Dr check my levels.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)