Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Audio Books anyone? I thought this was an obvious vehicle!

Audio Books anyone? I thought this was an obvious vehicle!2011-02-03T19:33:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies Audio Books anyone? I thought this was an obvious vehicle!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey- I am really surprised that the most amazing authors on this topic are not producing audio books!

My 19 year old son is diagnosed with adhd and my husband refuses to entertain the notion that he is too. I am trying to introduce info to two people who have no capacity to sit down and read a BOOK.

Thank goodness my son and I caught a bit of the TotallyADD program on PBS. He was actually engaged. I will buy the dvd but NEED audiobooks from you guys here at TotallyADD, Gina Pera “Is it you me or add?”, Melissa Orlov “The adhd marriage effect”, etc. This is my only hope at getting husband primed for diagnosis. Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Hey, you’re right! I wonder how we’d go about suggesting it to them.

But you may find that those books were actually put together in a way that makes them much easier for someone with ADHD to absorb them. The key is, doing it in small batches, with plenty of time to discuss each concept after you’ve read it. This interactive approach is far more effective than trying to just read it all in one go. Plus, when you’re discussing it, you’re actively involved in understanding and applying the information you’ve just read—instead of just reading it on the page and hoping it sinks in and stays there.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

reading is one of my LD more audio books would be great.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually find that I’m sometimes worse with audiobooks, because my attention drifts in and out. If I’m really REALLY engaged it’s okay, but sometimes my mind wanders, and suddenly I’ve missed like a good couple of minutes of the book. With a real book, I can re-read a paragraph, but with audiobooks I have to actually back it up a couple of minutes. And I definitely can’t listen to them when I’m doing anything else.

It probably depends on who’s narrating- some are more engaging than others. :)

For instance, I DO listen to things like the Vinyl Cafe Podcast, without any trouble at all.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

My DH “reads” audiobooks in the car. He is currently listening to the Harry Potter Series. He is now really tuned into the series and is on book 5. There are more books that are being released in a audio format because a lot of people spend a lot of time in the car and have to have something to do.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I am not a big fan of audiobooks. If I really get into the book, I could finish it in about three days. However, I have been known to set two books side by side and read two pages of book 1, two pages of book 2.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hate to read. Just cannot focus on the material. Even if I am hooked on it. I’ve tried audiobooks. Some, My mind wanders too much that I cannot focus on what they are saying. Some audiobooks are so boring to me, I get sleepy. Just like reading a real book. I can listen to audiobooks only if I am being active, like walking.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband bought a lot of audiobooks and never listened to some of them, but he did say that when he read the hard copy book along with the audiobook, it was easier to follow and he actually did read a lot of books during that period, classics that he’d always wanted to read but never could because of his ADD.

There’s a copyright issue with making audiobooks without the publisher’s permission, but I think one could record it for one’s own use without distributing it.

I agree with the poster who says read them in bits and talk about them. That’s what I did with the ADHD Effect on Marriage book. It’s taken me 3 weeks to get through 3/4 of the book. Previously, I would have ripped through the entire book in a weekend and went on to the next book (I’m an avid reader but these days have trouble finding the time to sit down and read).

Getting sleepy reading books is handy if you have trouble falling asleep at night. I read a few paragraphs and I’m ready to fall asleep!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Audio books are very closely related to radio drama & comedy—two things which I’ve loved since I was a kid.

Last year, I did the narration on an audio book…though not one suitable for the “family” market!

If someone with access to a studio could get clearance from the authors and publishers of the ADHD books, I’d be game to do the reading!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband – who has ADHD and is a tech addict, an expensive combination! – says that there is a good recorder about $99 from B&H (photography supply – his other passion) and it’s supposed to be very good. I am thinking of doing some recordings (not books) for my students and might check it out. So you might be able to do it cheaper than a studio.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s the recorder he was telling me about. Zoom H1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqIp095GD4&feature=related

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love downloading podcasts to listen to in the car during work travel. I hate the idea of being at the mercy of the lame topics on the FM dial or listening to the same CDs whose lyrics I often can’t follow. I keep forgetting to check audio books out of the library. That would help me keep my mind useful while driving.

I’ve always wanted to do narrations or radio drama. Not sure where to start. I know someone whose father used to do the “Chapter a Day” radio program in Wisconsin amny years ago. I should talk to her.

Those MP3 recorders are fairly inexpensive, like no_dopamine said. Audi recording isn’t rocket science any more. Larynxa: What did you narrate (or can’t you say the name in polite company)?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)