Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Automatically assume things are my fault

Automatically assume things are my fault2012-02-18T01:40:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Automatically assume things are my fault

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

kc5jck – loved the dog/cat thing. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Bellamom – I hope you are okay! That sounds so scary!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Bellamom – could it be an allergic reaction to something? Hope you are OK?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It could still be some kind of allergy. When I looked up some of the stuff he tested for today, I noticed a number of things about toxoplasmosis that make it a possibility. We have 2 cats (even though DH does the litter boxes) that sleep/walk wherever they wish. I know there are times we forget to clean the counters before cooking, they could have just gotten out of the box … when I think about it, that’s pretty icky! It would never occur to me to wash my hands after petting the cats, and they are always licking me. Another risk is sushi and I ADORE sushi and eat the raw stuff often.

And this year I’ve had a lot of colds etc, and the same “flu” in Feb signalling that my immune system is compromised. I assumed that was just stress from school/placement. Oh, and my lymph nodes are having a party. The blood disorder that I have is CML – which I’ve had for just shy of 20 years and stays under control with medication. Now I will have to fight against getting all twisted into a knot over the possibility that it’s on the move and no longer so well controlled and you know how we are with not worrying. “Hey, aren’t those religious people not allowed to worry?” lol Some don’t – but it’s something that many struggle with AND feel guilty about.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I’m of the mindset that if people wouldn’t try to be so clean, they would have stronger immune systems and get sick less often. It seems to work for me. Although I try to remember to wash my hands after handling something really gross or dead or both, it wouldn’t occur to me to wash my hands after petting the cat. Dog, yes absolutely, but not the cat. . . . and there’s nothing like a couple of margarita’s or glasses of wine in case of any doubt.

I think I saw something yesterday on TV about how hand sanitizers are helping to produce supergerms and superviruses. I say there’s nothing like a good dose of germs to exercise and strengthen the immune system.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with you kc5jck. No overdoing of cleaning is allowed here! I mean, I just vacuumed last week even though I just did it the month before!! We don’t use any of those antibacterial products … and so on. But I know a lot of people think that’s necessary. I suspect that percentage is a little lower among ADHDers and ADDers! 😉

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Bellamom, so sorry to hear about your health worries. Is CML a form of leukemia? Hope you’re feeling better today. x

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Bellamom,

Re. your comment about ‘religious types’ feeling guilty about worrying ……Well I am sure in the Bible somewhere it says sh*t happens but God will give you strength. It doesn’t say you can’t be worried.

During my Twitter play I found this – it’s worded a little better than my ‘it’s ok to be worried when sh*t happens’!:

“God never promises the absence of storms. He just promises to walk with us through them.”

I am sorry to hear you have CML and I hope it isn’t on the move. From what you say it could be toxoplasmosis? I looked it up and interestingly it says it can remain latent for a while producing flu-like symptoms – interestingly they also mentioned a link between it and ADHD! BUT it was Wiki and I tell my students never to believe what they read there and do some proper research in proper journals instead. I need to fight this urge now and go to work instead!

I agree about over egging the hygeine. I rarely wash my hand after petting my dogs, mainly because I forget and it would be constant – and if they have rolled in anything disgusting they smell too bad to pet anyway! Cats are known to carry germs but again, we can’t and shouldn’t lead sterile lives. I think all the sanitisers around and certainly over use of antibiotics creates problems, but if you’re immunocompromised and faced with a protozoan (toxoplasmosis) rather than the ‘usual’ bacteria that are everywhere then that is more difficult.

Anyway Bellamom – I hope things work out well and don’t worry until you know what it is you have to worry about.

:)

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I was my hands after I’ve been to the loo, picked up after the dog and before I cook. If I washed my hands after petting the animals I’d be labelled as OCD because that’s just a constant thing. If the dog’s not demanding my attention, one of the cats is.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tiddler, I am definitely feeling better except for the rash which continues to spread. Eventually it will burn itself out like last time. I’m even setting up to work on an assignment!! Yes, CML is a long term form of leukemia. It’s been so well controlled with drugs for so long and have been told that I’m not immunocompromised when all is under control, that I take no precautions beyond the basics.

Scattybird, I went to the Wiki site you mentioned for toxoplasmosis and it’s the link between ADHD – specifically Dopamine, is really interesting. The CDC site doesn’t mention it, but they’re concerned with a different angle – prevention, treatment and not spreading it. In many respects it looks like that’s what I have, but there’s no mention of a rash. And it’s a very noticable rash!!! In a way it’s like a combination of hives and megahives, except as the patches age they turn into bruises.

I’d better go get some work done.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)