Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Benefit to ADHD

Benefit to ADHD2012-03-05T03:39:18+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

The Boy With The Nice Teeth

Hey there,

Does anybody feel there are benefits to ADHD ? I am new to posting o this and was wondering what folks thought.

Gary

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Short answer: There are benefits to being YOU.

You happen to be a person with ADHD. You also happen to be a person with hands, a head, a heart, etc. ADHD means that you process information differently than other people. Once you get a handle on that, you can find help for the things you don’t do well and concentrate on the things you do do well.

That’s really all there is to it. Admittedly, it’s not as easy as it sounds. In fact, it’s a lot of work and there will very likely be a few missteps along the way.

So remember who you are, what it is that you excel at and find ways to get help with everything else.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi, it depends whats all going on in your life.if it effects how you feel about your life is all good then no. but if you are feeling like it is getting in the way you live your life, then yes.so it all depends on how you view your life.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

GG’s right! The ADHD diagnosis puts us in a different box than “normal” people (whatever that means!) Differences between people create opportunities. If you can figure out what you’re good at, you can take advantage of those differences. For example, some people with ADHD get bored easily in meetings (disadvantage), but can remain calm and focused in an emergency, when the people around them are panicking (advantage). Obviously, that kind of person could be very successful in emergency health care, but don’t give them an administrative job!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi BWNT….there is an active thread on this topic titled….”looking for the positives”. There are also past threads that raged on with this debate…..so sure ….one is very active…. and there are many from previous discussions.

Excuse my manners…..your just new……well let me welcome you on board. I would encourage you to have a spin through past and present posts….have a look around.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Thanks to all I will check older threads and the thoughtful comments were great.

tbwtnt

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

@Nice Teeth:

I have had ADD all my life and I was diagnosed with it 7 months ago. So far it has brought me nothing but grief, failure, and alienation from the world.

I am in counseling and on medication for ADD and depression.

I am finding out, when I can get this Ferrari brain of mine working on a problem, I can solve it, the next one, the third, and be 5 steps ahead of anyone sitting in the room. It’s hard to tell if it is me or the ADD, but since we are one in the same, I am not going to complain.

I have to keep telling myself that ADD is not good or bad, it just is what makes me…. me. I am trying to find those things that make it work for me, and not against me. The counseling and the meds help.

Hang in there.

REPORT ABUSE

BobB

@shutterbug55

Sorry it took so long for you to get a name for the unique tuning of your Ferrari brain! But I love your post otherwise! In a culture of too many “go along to get along” folks and with so many huge problems, it seems to me that folks like us who can “think outside the box” are badly needed. As I see it, our brain type does NOT have a deficit at all — ours are just different in a variety of sometimes frustrating and sometimes fabulous ways! :D

And anyway, a Ferrari really should be quite different from a run-of-the-mill Chevy, shouldn’t it?

I fully expect that over time you can find lots of ways to get past the challenges of ADD and max out the vroom! vroom! you have under your hood. So press on and keep smiling!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

SB55….that’s great news……not the depression thing, but discovering the latent horsepower potential. It may be somewhat tricky to determine how to milk performance out in a manageable way ….but…..I have a feeling…….just from your post that your turning that corner. :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I was thinking about this one the other day and decided that you can find “benefits” to just about any misfortune.

For example, if you are totally blind, you don’t have to worry about buying light bulbs. There are organizations that will give you a free dog. Benefits to a poor education are that you will probably only qualify for more labor intensive jobs and the exercise will help keep you healthy. Benefits to having ADHD are kinda like these examples. Poor memory means you are forgiving because you either don’t remember wrongs against you or you’re too busy with some ADD crisis that you don’t have time for grudges or you don’t have enough friends to piss away any of them.

Actually about the only positive thing I may have found with ADD is that I am able to keep myself supremely entertained with the constant chatter and conversations going on in my head. Without the noise, I would probably be lonely.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Funny story about “benefits” – For 2 years I lived in a non english speaking country. I couldn’t get fluent in the language for the life of me. I could only converse with very patient people who would talk slowly enough for me to process each word, one at a time.

The great thing was – people were chattering away, and I couldn’t understand them, and it was the most peaceful, non-distracting time of my life! I never realized until I returned to the States that I can’t stop myself from paying attention to every conversation in the room.

I dream of spending time in a foreign land again – the wonderful feeling of not being barraged with everyone’s mundane thoughts and conversations every waking hour of the day!

Is that the strangest thing or what?

stardate: 123443.3

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Munchkin – go to http://www.onlineconversion.com/julian_date.htm to get the Julian date

Your date of 123443.3 works out to be Dec 20, 4376 BCE @Time 19:12:00 (Saturday nite)

. . . unless you’ve found a way to time travel.

REPORT ABUSE

Well I think I have a benefit story then. I find that when I have a very stressful event in my life, a death, the loss of a job ect I can, almost at will, slip into an ADHD protective haze.

It’s helped me a few times, even when I was very young and didn’t know I had ADHD.

TBWTNT

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)