Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Blurting Things Out!

Blurting Things Out!2010-08-30T13:59:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Blurting Things Out!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Ivriniel
    Participant

Hell, yeah!

As a kid I would have detention on a daily basis because I blurted out.

Now I’m less likely to blurt if I am talking face to face with someone, but I find it harder to not do it when I am on the phone.

I can usually control a blurt if I’m talking face to face, but as I’m doing it I feel like I am holding my breath. The worst part is, if I hold it in too long, I’ll forget what I was going to say, but the feeling of urgency doesn’t go away, so when I do my turn to say something, I’ll start talking and then have to concede I forgot what I was going to say.

MerryMac, I know *exactly* what you mean on the whole flashes of brilliance thing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When i went through school teacher’s did what they pleased. The strap was one that I had often but looking back I remeber in art class a girl taking next to me and the teacher told me to be quite after the second time she told me I raised my voice and said it’s not me! Down to the pricnclepals office strap on my hands.

The worst was a dunce cap put on my head while I sat on a stool in front of the class,those were the days. My mother went to a one room school house and the teacher said if you don’t learn your spellings your going to get the strap . Well my mother end up getting the strap.

So she got the strap and she told her grandmother. My grandmother went and cut an allder switch and went to the one room school house and started beating the teacher. She got him fired. yup school. I know we come from a history of ADHD people. Back in them hills of Nova Scotia. Clamdigger

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ivriniel!

So glad to hear that I’m not the only one!

When I get really excited, suddenly I develop ‘motormouth’ and it’s set on ‘high’!

Words just come flying out before I can even think of what they are..like my mouth is faster than my brain. Sometimes I sit there and think ‘Did that just come out of my mouth? Where the Hell did that come from?

It makes me feel better to pretend that I am possessed, hence bearing no responsibility whatsoever for my words..

: )))

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

MerryMac wrote: “I get flashes of absolute brilliance and then they’re gone! Like lightning through my brain…..

But I MUST blurt them out before these pearls of wisdom are lost forever to the cosmos!!

(Or that’s how I feel, anyway..the other person probably thinks.. ‘There she goes again.blah blah blah..’)

My ADHD friends and I seem to be on the exact wavelength. When we interrupt each other, the coversation zigs and zags and is much more fun! “

I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS!

When I was a kid, the ongoing joke was that I would prance around like I had to pee, trying to squeeze a word in edgewise into a conversation only to be frustrated when someone changed the topic OR went on and on ad nauseum until I forgot what I was going to say… and I would be so angry and disappointed, moaning, “Ohhh I LOST it!” Yeah, big joke, folks. Har de har har.

Sometimes when you get into a conversation groove with someone, the time just flies. A friend of mine and I get into these deep, long-winded meaning-of-life conversations with occasional veering into unrelated topics. If the conversation was compared to driving, we’d likely be pulled over for suspected DUI. But hey! that’s just the way we converse! And I have to say that I always leave a gab session with my friend feeling lighter, cheerier, and more understood. It’s like taking out the emotional kitty litter box; you have to do it now and then or else it will runneth over. And nobody likes it when that happens.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi eringunsinger!

Glad you like the post!

I laughed when I read yours about dancing around like you had to go pee!

I STILL do that!!

There is nothing better than having a good long conversation with a good ADHD friend! The conversation dips and soars..you can take the controls off your brain and let it to it’s thing!

Let that wild team of horses loose to exercise them and it feels soooo good!

I have an ADD friend who comes over for lunch in the summer..I make a great spread and we sit out back and yap for 4-5 hours!

Usually followed by a trip or two to Goodwill to dig around for treasures….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I talk to much I interupt people I draw conclusions .I want and crave attention I try to dominate the converstaion but the reality is you know you are doing it You can see the reaction of people but you do it anyway sometimes resulting in negative respones from other friends colleagues

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brad!

Sometimes I find that as I settle into the conversation, I do less of all the things you meantion.

If the conversation is high energy though, the team of wild horses within runs rampant!

All bets are off!

I try to be aware of having the other person ‘take a turn’ speaking.

(in my mind that’s the phrase I use and repeat to myself over and over and over)

Over the years I”ve found that people are pretty amazing with lots of fun stories and it can be a pleasure to listen…

However, that’s a skill that I’ve really had to work on hard~!

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

This isn’t exactly the same as blurting out, but I think it’s related.

Anybody else use “scripts” for small talk? I find that during conversations I tend to say things that don’t quite fit, because I am anticipating that the person will say one thing, when in fact they say something else, and by the time I have processed what they actually said, my response has already come out of my mouth.

It usually happens to me at the beginning or end of a conversation. Mid conversation I’m usually fine, since you can’t really fall into a script there.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Iam out west so i cant be there if you all meet in T o but I would like to be a fly on the wall . i can invision merrymacs wild horses, and all the rest of the birlliant chatter taking place . in my mind i can hear it getting loud. LOL . i think if it hapens Rick needs to vidotape it so they have more footage for another film. ithink that will give some real insight into the working of the adhd mind in a free and excepting enviorment. Makes my hart race just thinking about it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

my closest friends in high school nicknamed me the interupter. i’m 32 now and still friends with the same girls and they still call me “the interupter” sometimes. i’ve realized that i interupt because if i don’t say what i want to contribute to the conversation right away… i usually forget what it is that i wanted to say when my turn to talk finally comes around. if i don’t blurt out my thoughts right away my mind has moved on to other things when the socially acceptable time to speak comes around.

i find myself talking over my boss and coworkers all the time. i’m in sales and i talk over prospect clients sometimes too… oops, you’re definitely supposed to let them do the talking. i don’t think it is something that i will ever be able to change, and i’m not sure that i’d want to.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I worked in a small room with five others, which was divided into cubes. My concentration was always a problem and I always blurted things out. For some reason I’ve got a memory for stupid facts and always wanted to spout off corrections to my coworkers conversations. My coworkers all knew about my ADD and usually gave me the benefit of the doubt, but there were some things that they couldn’t ignore. I created friction when there didn’t need to be any. Luckily, I was moved to my own office due to work needs. I have since started taking Ritalin LA. I still have to work closely with these people and have many group meetings with them and my supervisor. The Ritalin has enabled me to slow down enough to “shut up” a good deal of the time, but I still put my foot in my mouth sometimes. It’s a slow process, but I feel like I’m making some progress.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember when I was around 10 I was repremanded rather harshly for blurting things out in the middle of church. I was so embarassed that the following Sunday I literally bit down on my tongue so hard many times that I bled. I didn’t make a fuss of it untill the next day when my tongue was badly swollen.

The family took it as another attempt of getting attention.

Seriously? o_0 Painfully biting down on my tongue to the point that it’s black and blue and hurts badly enough that I can’t even drink? *sighs*

REPORT ABUSE

jameswing

This has been something I have been working on for a long time. I also find myself repeating myself if I don’t get a response, or later thinking of a way I should have said something differently, and that I probably offended someone, or sounded really harsh.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)