Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Book Discussions

Book Discussions2011-09-06T13:49:35+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Monika

Anyone have a book recommend or a book they’d like to discuss? It can absolutely be about ADD but it can also be about anything. I’ve been reading several self-help books that are not described as for “ADDers” but absolutely can positively impact our lives.

“Switch: How to change when change is hard” by Chip and Dan Heath

“The FLIP side, overcoming personal constraints” by Flip Flippen are the two that are currently holding my interest.

Do you have one? It doesn’t have to be self-improving but I’m always on the lookout for a good read. :P

Thanks, M

REPORT ABUSE

caper

I posted in another thread about one of Barkley’s books. I forget what it is called.

Tried using the forum search but couldn’t find it. However with google I did.

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1741&page=2

Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

Thanks Caper!

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

“Scattered: How ADHD originates and what you can do about it” (English language title) by Gabor Mate. Deals with psychological and emotional dimensions of ADHD – not stuff like finding your key chain.

Sari Solden’s book “Women with Attention Deficit Disorder” is good – made me feel like I was reading my own diary.

For other, non-ADHD self-help, I deeply appreciated “Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life” and also “Authentic Happiness.”

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

Cool SDWA, of those four which did you enjoy or help you the most? :)

REPORT ABUSE

Faequine

I am currently reading “Your Life Can Be Better: Using Stategies for Adult ADD/ADHD” By Douglas A Puryear MD.

He’s a Doc with ADD/ADHD himself. It was less then $3 on Kobo. Its got a lot of eye opening info.

REPORT ABUSE

Blue Yugo

I only have 2 books on ADD because I’m determined to keep it to very good ones that actually help me.  My philosophy is that if I give myself TOO many choices of books, I’ll end up reading only little bits of each and never wind up with the full picture because I’d be always distracted by digging into the newest one until an even newer one pops up.

That being said, here are the 2 books pertaining to ADD that I have (and why).

1.  “Taking Charge of Adult ADHD” – by Russell A. Barkley, PhD.  I like this one because it is the one that got me to seek treatment with all its check lists, some of which very well define the specific areas impairment occurs for me.  It gives other prompts throughout the book for you to fill out for yourself and also strategies for the most common problems ADD’ers have with work, finances, relationships, etc.  If you can find a preview of it online or in a store, do so…so that you can see if the format is something that jives with you, and you don’t wind up collecting too many books and making a bigger pile of mental clutter for yourself.  This book is mentioned in a post above, but I wanted to give my reasons for liking it.

2.  “ADD Stole My Car Keys” – by Rick Green & Dr. J.  I like this one because it’s got 155 common symptoms and it’s easy to skip around like my brain wants to do, and I often say “That is SO me!”  Dr. J explains how each topic affects ADD’ers, and Rick tells personal experiences, to which I really feel like starting a journal notebook to add my own as well.  (There’s also a fun type-o on the credits page.)  It helps me root out my biggest problem areas.  Next time I see my doctor, I will recommend she check it out, too.

Barkley is great at telling the whole, hard truths.  Rick is great at making you laugh at those same truths (in the ADD-friendly “you can skip around if you want” format).

– Viv

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

We have a number of ‘somewhat’ generic ADHD books available through our store.

I’m thinking we should add a ton more.

Books I found life changing, or mind expanding:

THE POWER OF NOW by Eckhart Tolle

THE BIOLOGY OF BELIEF by…. can’t remember.

THE NEW PSYCHO-CYBERNETICS  by Maxwell Maltz. Every time I saw this book in a store, and the first edition was published in 1960, I thought it was some w000-wooo book about ESP.  It’s actually about how beliefs have a huge impact on your performance, positive and negative. It’s spun off all kinds of training programs for athletes. (When you hear an Olympic skier talking about mentally going down the run, imagining themselves making each turn and doing the whole run, that all originated with this book.) Used by golfers. Business people.  Sales people. You name it. And it’s been updated and updated, so it’s got all the latest knowledge.

GETTING THINGS DONE by David Allen

THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG

LOVING WHAT IS by Byron Katie.

And there’s more.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)