Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

BP was 160 over 122

BP was 160 over 1222013-10-03T10:28:36+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta BP was 160 over 122

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

doublel
    Participant

Not good….

Have an appointment with regular GP later today to talk about it….I didn’t take my Concerta today as I am guessing it is the reason for the incresae.

My appointment with ADD doctor was to be this afternoon but is now cancelled as he is sick.

I can’t see him until October 24 and I’m really not sure what to do.  I am actually out of meds now too.

Is there another med which will not increase my BP?

Has anyone else had any issues similar to me?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Yeah, there are other non-stimulant drugs people take:: Wellbutrin (Bupropion), Provigil (Modafinil), and others. I tried the first two, and for some reason they both made me seriously ill before they could do anything for my Attention Deficit. I’m not a doctor, so I shouldn’t even be talking about medications. But with that caveat, could you use something to bring your BP down far enough so you could take stimulants? 160/122 sounds awfully high BTW, especially that diastolic number—it’s off the charts. What is your normal BP?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

This is a tough one. Normally I would say don’t stop taking your medication without checking with your doctor first. But if 160/122 is extremely high compared to your normal BP, and there are no other possible causes (stress, too much salty food), and it is consistently high (more than just one reading) then stopping the medication might be the right way to go.

I don’t see high blood pressure listed in the side effects for Concerta, but that doesn’t completely rule out the possibility, since everyone reacts differently and it is possible to have side effects that are less common.

I have never taken Concerta, but I have taken it’s close cousin Ritalin and experienced no side effects. But that’s just me. Other medications that supposedly have few or no side effects have made me violently ill. And SSRI’s make my blood pressure drop like a stone. I had to stop taking my blood pressure medication when I started a new SSRI 6 weeks ago.

You should follow your doctor’s advice and keep monitoring your blood pressure. Remember, check it when you are sitting comfortably and have been resting for awhile for an accurate reading.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

doublel – if your BP is that high you MUST stop taking your Concerta immediately and then find out what your BP is normally. Anything over 130/80 is too high.  160/122 is potentially very dangerous if you don’t get it sorted. BP varies throughout the day. If your BP was that on a morning then it will likely reduce during the day – or maybe you didn’t sit quietly before it was taken? If your BP was that later in the day and after rest, then you can be sure it will be higher in the morning. More people have heart attacks on a morning than at any other time of day because of that.

The worst that can happen if you stop taking your Concerta is your ADHD symptoms will increase.  That’s not to make light of that, I know what that’s like. But if your BP continues like that you’re looking at a potential stroke, heart attack and with a diastolic (bottom) value like that, you’re maybe looking at kidney damage too if it remains unchecked.

BUT you need to see if that’s just a ‘blip’ or whether your BP is constantly high. You need to see your GP and discuss it. Once your BP is under control there is no reason why you can’t take stimulants.

I am not a doctor and normally I wouldn’t suggest stopping medication, but high BP is a bigger issue than ADHD in the immediate scheme of things.

I take quick release methylphenidate and have variable BP. If I hit a ‘high’ patch I stop taking them but I hate that….sometimes I think I’ll take the risk but I certainly wouldn’t if my BP was that high. I have seen what a stroke can do to people and it’s frightening.

But on the whole, although methylphenidate increases my BP, it’s still reasonably OK. I recently tried Concerta (which is just slow release methylphenidate) and my BP increased to 155/98. I tried a lower dose and my BP fell but was still too high.  I stupidly persevered, but I have now given up on Concerta. It made me feel completely wired, I couldn’t sleep and I was so emotional on it. I am really disappointed because it also made me really focused. So I am back to the quick release version again and feel less focused but much calmer. I don’t know why I get such different results with what is fundamentally the same drug. It must be connected with the release mechanism but why….?

But please get your doctor’s opinion – high blood pressure is risky.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

doublel
    Participant

I stopped.  I just returned from the GP visit.  The GP I saw is not my regular doctor, I saw someone else where I work.  My GP does not believe in ADHD and does not know I have been diagnosed and therefore does not know I am on am meds to treat it.  Bad I know but I have to take this into my own hands….fortunately my pharmasist is brilliant and I trust him, he is aware of all my meds so I am not concerned about mixing medications.  Should my doctor ever need to know about my ADHD I will tell her at that time, but for now I do not see any reason to justify myself and the meds I take.

The GP visit….

Apparently it takes 2.5 dys to be Concerta “free” so I still have 1.5 days until my body is clean.  I have to take my BP several times a day for the next 4 days then call my regular GP next week if it is still high.  This GP is wondering if my BP will return to normal levels once there is no trace of Concerta left in my system.  Good plan.  Hopefully this is the case and I don’t have to go back on BP meds.  I was once on them…then the cardiologist weened me off as it got to low…guessing the weight loss from the loss of appitite from the Concerta…lol

Anyway…..no adhd meds for me right  now and I am not happy about that at all.  I think I may call the pharmacy and have them call my ADHD doc and get a 30 day supply of Strattera.  I dont see him until the end of October and I cannot wait that long for a new med….

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Thanks for the update.  It sucks not having the meds.  I know what you mean about not wanting to tell your GP.  I didn’t want to tell mine but had my hand forced when the driving licence agency wrote to her asking for a report about my fitness to drive. She was furious that I had been treated privately and without consulting her. She did concede that the doesn’t know anything about it. She won’t play any part in my care WRT ADHD. So I have my own BP monitor and self check.

I hope the  Straterra work OK.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

You’re lucky you have the option of going to two different doctors. But do be careful to make sure that things stay sorted. My mother ended up in the hospital with  hyponatrimia one time because three different doctors all prescribed medication that deplete sodium levels in the body. And the pharmacy didn’t catch it.

Glad to know things are going okay for you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)