Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Building up a tolerance for Dexedrine

Building up a tolerance for Dexedrine2011-08-01T20:42:43+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine Building up a tolerance for Dexedrine

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

BabafredDenandenanda

Does your body, over time, build up a tolerance to Dex, and thus, as a result, the dosage needs to be increased?

REPORT ABUSE

Puck_Bunny

Disclaimer: The following post is based on my experience with Dexedrine, you should talk to your doctor about your concerns, especially if you are doing any of the things I mention below.

I find that I do build up a tolerance to Dexedrine and sometimes really quickly. I’ve managed to stay on the same dose of 25mg for 5 years or more by periodically taking less (15mg or 20mg) when my life isn’t so demanding. If I do that for a week or two my regular dose feels like when I first started taking it.

Sometimes there are other reasons why it isn’t working like I feel it should and it can be helped by being mindful of my diet/a few tricks. Dexedrine is lipophilic so it is better absorbed if you take it with some fat or oil. Dexedrine isn’t absorbed as well with acids, including vitamin C so I avoid orange juice at breakfast. Coffee is acidic but the caffeine seems to be synergistic, so I usually have coffee throughout the day. Dexedrine is potentiated when your PH level is more alkaline, so if I’m taking a lower dose or I feel like my symptoms are raging I’ll take some baking soda in water (1/2 tsp), those candy hearts that fizz with the saucy sayings on them (they are like 99% baking soda too i think), or Alka-seltzer Gold, which doesn’t have the aspirin.

I’ve tried using L-phenylalanine and L-glutamine together instead of dexedrine before to give myself time to reduce tolerance but I can’t recommend it. It made me really spacey and while I wasn’t falling asleep like I normally would if I stop taking Dexedrine, I felt like my heart beat was too high and my adhd symptoms weren’t helped much.

Lately I feel like I’ve built tolerance and might increase it by 5mg or even try switching to another medication for awhile. If anyone else has experience with this I’d like to hear their thoughts.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)