Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

But I can focus on some things?

But I can focus on some things?2010-12-13T07:04:29+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments But I can focus on some things?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have thought for some time that I have ADD. I think it will be a relief to me if I do in fact have ADD. When I’ve considered this is in the past others would point out that I can in fact focus on some things. I love to cook and to travel and can spend focused time on those activities “So how could I have ADD?” Also I never got in trouble as a kid and I’m not super hyper, though I’m not on to stand still much. Any comments on the ability to focus, not necessarily hyper-focus on things I enjoy but still able to live largely unfocused, and undirected…?

Others’ comments on avoiding making phone calls, avoidance, sensitivity to noise, exercise and natural beauty having a calming affect all really resonate with me and give me hope.

Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Hey, someone asked me how I can restore cars, or restore older alternators to perfection, including all the little minor details – in my opinion, it’s easy to explain how I can do that but not do paperwork or sit through a boring presentation.

People get their stuff back from me and are in awe at how it turns out. Then someone said “you can’t possibly be ADD and yet concentrate enough to do something like that”.

Well, it’s because of the ADD that I CAN do things like that, not in spite of it.

I LOVE what I do, cars and in fact ALL things mechanical fascinate me! I literally relate to them somehow. (maybe some day I’ll find I’m not a human at all, but some sort of andriod or borg or something…..)

Welcome to my world, interested….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

For me most of the time it’s hyperfocus or very little focus at all…I love to do crafts and edit video, and those are the things where it shows the most, I guess.

But I think I get what you’re saying. I’m also not too terribly hyperactive.

Sometimes I think it would be helpful to describe ADD as less the inability to focus and more just the inability to control the “how much” and “when” and “where” of your focus. xD

REPORT ABUSE

billd

exactly – it’s the lack of control over that focus. I’m a good example, at times, of hyper-focus.

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

One of the theories around ADHD is the low arousal theory. (Arousal in a more general sense than just sexual arousal). According to this theory, a person with low arousal needs more stimuli in order to respond than the average person. Everyday tasks rarely provide the level of stimulus required to cause much of a response.

Activities enjoyed by the person with low arousal do provide enough stimulus, and we are therefore able to spend a fair bit of time on them, though we aren’t always able to complete them.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you. These replies are helpful.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I missed the dx for years because I love to read so much, but we can focus on things we’re interested in.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)