Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Caffeine dosage used as ADD medication?

Caffeine dosage used as ADD medication?2011-05-14T22:06:28+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Caffeine dosage used as ADD medication?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, my doctor has diagnosed me with ADD, but here in Sweden we have to pass a 3 month long “investigation” peroid before we get the actual diagnosis and then the medicin.

According to my doctor I have a pretty sevear case of “inattention add” or something along those lines. And I have this major test in two days, which I obviously haven’t been able to study for, due to my inablility to focus more than a few sentences in a row, then I have to remind myself to keep reeding. (while feeling anxious and stressed crazy)

I probably will not be able to get a hold of a ritalin, possibly from a friend with adhd. But I was thinking of buying Caffeine pills, 100mg each. I don’t even feel awake after one cup, so do you think 500mg + a cup of coffee would do as a weaker replacement for concerta/ritalin?

How do you usually dose yourself with it to stay focused? 200mg every 20 minutes?

Thanks alot!

REPORT ABUSE

cakat01

It will be interesting to see what others say here. Caffeine doesn’t work for me at all. I get sleepy. I used sugar and chocolate to keep my mind alert before taking ADD meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Prescription medication for ADD should only be dispensed under a doctor’s supervision. Contrary to popular belief, they are not “study aids.” I think your best course of action is to speak with the instructor and see if there are alternatives available considering your circumstances. Some students find they do better when taking an oral test. Maybe you can get a chance to take the course or test again after you are properly diagnosed and under treatment.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

You don’t necessarily have to use a stimulant medication. There are several different ADD medications, and not all of them are stimulants.

For me, I found that coffee did great at eliminating the fog, which is probably why I drank a cup in the morning for years, but didn’t help me focus. Also, it seemed to backfire and make me more sleepy by lunch-time. When I was working, I’d do another cup in the afternoon, but again, it’s effect was very minimal. Still, I would have to struggle to focus on my reading, so I don’t see it helping you there. It actually made me more prone, not less, to making mistakes.

I’ve been taking adderall for a few weeks. It took quite a while for the adderall to work, and it just seems it’s working only on the fogginess, and the intense daydreaming episodes, so far. The fog was lifted, and I haven’t needed coffee, but the focus stuff is coming much slower, and I don’t think it would matter for you, if these tests are coming up now.

Some other things my doc suggested was getting sleep (hard for us adders) and a high protein diet. That and getting organized with a calendar and lists. That helps, because the more organized you are, the less cluttered your brain is, and the less distracted you are by the million things you are trying to keep track of mentally.

I agree with Game Guy. I’m thinking for test taking, you need to see your instructor or school and talk about what accommodations you need. If you were here in the US, this would be mandatory, even if the instructor was an idiot and didn’t believe in ADHD. You would be able to take your doctor’s note to him, or even to the Dean of his dept., and get things like longer test time, oral tests, help prepping for tests, etc.

Good luck! At least you have the diagnosis now. Hopefully things start looking up with your academic career. I struggled through college with my ADD, and definitely sympathize with your situation.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found that Omega-3 helps me to concentrate and stay on task longer. It’s not by much, but it is something. In my experience I go down to about a 40 minute attention span in school from about 2 hours when I forget to take it in the morning. What you also want to do is to avoid Omega-6 to gain maximum benefit, as the balance between the two is what you strive to balance with taking additional Omega-3. I have no idea about how fast you will notice the effect, but it will be good for the future, even if you get on medication.

A technique I use when reading is to sit in a computer/office chair and spin around while reading helps me concentrate. Any movement, even walking while reading helps, but at the same time the physical part can’t be enough to steal your attention. Walking back and fourth while reading does work out for me, but I find I get distracted by that as well, although a lot less then when sitting still. (And I’m inattentive, not hyper)

The bad part about caffeine is that after your high (roughly 20-40 mins) you have to land, and after you landed it’s very easy to feel more tired than before you took any. The good thing about it though is that after it cleared up “the fog” in your head it remains so, and I’d by that basis actually advice you to take caffeine a few hours before studying, and then exercise before you sit down.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering why I was having so many chocolate bars and Coca Cola at work before I was diagnosed with ADHD!!

I only have 1 cup of very very strong coffee in the morning.

I am on concerto, but I think I will buy a bottle of Omega-3 before I go to work today.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

caffeine works very differently from the real meds. It might wake you up, give you a boost, but it’s no substitute in most cases.

Check the differences and how each works on the brain, and which parts they work on.

Exercise really helps – EARLY in the day, not in the evening. Anything that helps with relaxation, breathing, blood circulation, certain music, even different light types……… all worth looking into as “self medication” of sorts.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)