Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Calligraphy is surprisingly relaxing.

Calligraphy is surprisingly relaxing.2017-07-31T20:44:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments What Worked For Me… Calligraphy is surprisingly relaxing.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’ve found a new way to relax:  calligraphy!  It forces me to slow right down, and watch the lines flowing from my pen, as the times of the nib spread and contract.  Once I’m into the rhythm of applying slight pressure on the downstrokes, and almost no pressure on the upstrokes and flourishes, it’s quite mesmerising.

About two months ago, I got a Frankenpen (a super-flexible Zebra G-nib, jerry-rigged in a cheap Jinhao fountain pen), and started learning Engrosser’s Script—the beautiful style of flowing cursive handwriting that people used in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries.  It requires a flexible nib, and lots of practice to get lines that flow from thick to thin when they’re supposed to.

I’m used to ballpoints, so I’ve had to learn not to lean on my pen.  I’m still working on it.  But now, my touch is light enough that I can safely use vintage fountain pens.  And, to keep it beautiful, I use inks in a rainbow of bright colours.

I’m getting glowing praise for my handwriting now—a miracle, considering I used to get D’s and E’s for my handwriting when I was in school.  Unfortunately, it takes me about 20 minutes to write a single beautiful page.  My day-to-day fast handwriting is still chicken-scratch.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Sounds like a great way to practice mindfulness!  I wish I could see a sample of your work😀

REPORT ABUSE

youresohumerus
    Participant

I too would be super interested to see your work! Ever considered uploading a youtube video? There’s plenty calligraphy videos out there sure but I always like hearing a fresh perspective from someone with ADHD who may have struggles or tips that neurotypicals don’t even think about 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)