Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Can't do anything right.

Can't do anything right.2011-04-29T17:19:28+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Cranky/Arguing/Frustrated Can't do anything right.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello. I found this website just by chance and what The Game Guy wrote about it’s like I feel the same way. No matter what I do that little voice in my head keeps saying “I Can’t do Anything Right”. No matter how hard I try. I am frustrated, depressed and mad at myself. Trying to convince myself that I am good enough will going to be a tough thing to do. It will take a lot work.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Hello Frances,

I almost didn’t read to the bottom of this post, because it was so old. Then I remembered something Robo had said.

@Robo: See! I can be trained!

I don’t know how old you were, when you were diagnosed with ADD, but my guess is that it was after school age. A lot of our “self esteem” issues come from that period of time. When you have ADD, you are struggling with trying to keep up and just do what our peers seem to do without even thinking. We wear ourselves out, because no matter how hard we try, we still somehow fail, we miss some detail, we weren’t paying attention at the right time.

We discover early on that the world is very good at telling us what we can’t do, as if we don’t already know it. But the world is very bad at telling us what we can do. That we have to do ourselves. So we go along in life with the world reinforcing our idea of “worthlessness”. For me this got so bad, when I did get a compliment, I would get upset.

I have told this to a couple people, so here we go: Consider this. You got to where you are right now, with no idea you were working with a handicap. Its like finishing a marathon hopping on one leg. You might not think you have accomplished anything, but there are many people out there who have accomplished far less without ADD.

Keep reading about ADD, get diagnosed (if you haven’t already), Start getting treated for ADD. There are many treatment options, none of which will “cure” you, but will make it FAR easier to function with the normals out there. You will learn about how ADD affects you, and how to lessen the affects, by avoiding situations or creating work arounds.

Hope this helps. OH! and welcome to the forums.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

frances- ther is hope, its taken me around 30 years to stop listening to the voices in my head, but unless I’m under extreme stress, I can usually talk myself around.

Shuttebug55 I almost did the same thing

I loved what you wrote, especially “You got to where you are right now, with no idea you were working with a handicap”.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)