Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Can't even stay focused for one hour

Can't even stay focused for one hour2011-06-08T20:20:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Time Management Can't even stay focused for one hour

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been talking with my therapist (psychologist) about how distracted I am during the workday (I work at home doing production, and the calls I receive are business only). I have just been through a slow period, but I am unable to get caught up or ahead to avoid being overwhelmed during the busy periods. I am the greatest person in the world for making schedules but the worst for following them or acting on them.

He told me to work for one hour without taking phone calls, take a five minute (or so) break, then work for another hour (no phone calls), take another five minute break, just that simple, and see how that goes. I agreed to try it this week.

When I got home from out of town that night, there were 7 business calls that required follow-up the next day (I didn’t answer the phone all day) so I couldn’t get started on production first thing since i was chasing people down by phone.

First day: ok, made it through the first hour mostly but when I sat down for the five minute break, I was bombarded with phone calls that blew the next two hours out of the water. Rest of day spent planning big orders that I got and working on them without break. So much for one hour, 5 min off etc.

Second day: spent wrapping up the rush orders I got yesterday, without break except for lunch (no breakfast). So much for one hour on, 5 min off.

Has anybody had success with a schedule like this? I feel kind of defeated.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)