Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Caste System for ADHD

Caste System for ADHD2012-02-21T21:15:53+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers Caste System for ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

darktendril

I agree that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and will do better in certain jobs (not necessarily poor paying ones), and that this is nothing to feel badly about.  I decided to go into nursing long before I even knew what ADHD was (I didn’t know anybody who was diagnosed with it growing up).  I just knew that I could never do a “sit down” job, and went with that. 🙂  I am also certified as a personal trainer! (random temporary career change lol..)  I am not saying that having ADHD has never affected my job performance (it most definitely has), but I do feel that I am working with a lot of my strengths rather than against them.

I also have a friend with ADHD who is an amazing graphic designer. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

The problem is when one’s personal talents conflict with the ADHD symptoms. For example, I love to read but can barely stick with a book. I love working on computers but lack the carefulness/diligence required for programming. While I work in an office job that meets some of my talents, I know that the sitting and repetition of task are boring me to tears.

Medication has helped keep me seated and focused (not necessarily on what I am supposed to be focusing on, but that is another issue).

What is needed is a holistic approach to employment assessment/suitability. You can’t say that Jane loves science so she should be a neurosurgeon if Jane also lacks attention to detail and has horrible time management skills. I only wish that I had mapped out with someone a career plan and goals early on as I feel completely lost now as I enter my middle years.

If someone has typical ADHD symptoms, there will be jobs that are unsuitable by nature for most people with the deviation (Using the term deviation for disorder for those that think it is a gift. They cannot deny that is atypical and therefore a deviation from the mean).

Also, it is difficult to do what you love, as many coaches recommend, when what you love is so mutable.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

@Bibliophile, What an interesting perspective. I never really thought about the conflict between what you love and what you can do. I think I automatically assumed that they aligned. You’ve got my wheels turning.

I think for me I’m always so black and white about things that I push the  “What I Love!”  idea way to far. It creates a lot of pressured feelings, like I have to find the perfect job or one that I can do perfectly.

There’s something really nice about bringing home that paycheck, even when working a so-so job, that goes a long way to creating positive momentum.

Thanks for your post.

Damon

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)