Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Children with ADD/ADHD need a support system too!

Children with ADD/ADHD need a support system too!2011-03-13T15:01:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Children with ADD/ADHD need a support system too!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

After joining a couple days ago, and receiving so much great advice. I believe my son who had ADHD would really love a support system like this. He is in the 5th grade, in danger of failing. I know that he feels sad, alone also. If he had children his age to relate to he would probably feel so much better.

Who is with me!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have found that a great majority of the sites devoted to ADHD (like CHADD) concentrate solely on parents and children. In fact, there are still many people out there who do not believe that ADHD nor the treatment of it applies to anyone but children. So it is refreshing to find a site like this that acknowledges that there are adults with ADHD and concentrates on their needs. No offense, but I do not wish to see this site degenerate into a clone of all of those other sites that only pays lip service to adults with ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

We hear you. Both of you, Mrsm2003 and GameGuy.

My wife Ava created this site because we had so much good information that didn’t make it into our documentary ‘ADD & Loving It?!’ Dr. J got involved very early on because he recognized the power of both television and the web to make a huge difference for people all over the world. Our goals is to transform how the world views ADHD and inspire people to take on their impairments so they can become who they truly are, and succeed at what they want to do with their lives.

The information here is indeed focussed on adults. In fact, the Global Television network executives who gave us the funding to make the film had told me, when I first went in with the idea, that “ADHD kids have been well covered.” When I explained we wanted to do a documentary that was about Adults discovering ADHD, and that it would feature comedian Patrick McKenna, they said, “Okay, now that’s new,” and they gave us to green light.

So the information here is aimed at adults. ADHD kids are not struggling with divorce, bankruptcy, depression, being fired and de-cluttering. But their parents are.

As well, much of what’s here is valuable in understanding and managing ADHD at any age.

For example Dr. J’s video on Informed Consent is crucial to anyone seeking help from a Doctor for any issue, from ADHD to a broken toe.

And many of the strategies work well for kids. That said, the emotional stuff that has accumulated by adulthood is a separate issue. (I think about my own struggle with depression at one point in my 30’s and with low-grade anxiety most of my adult life.) We are putting together a DVD about parenting ADHD kids right now, and you are not the first to ask us to do something about ADHD/ADD for kids.

But in the meantime, bear in mind that ADHD/ADD is very inheritable and runs in families, so dealing with the ADHD/ADD in the parents will be a huge gift to your ADHD kids.

Getting the areas of impairment from my ADHD managed made me a better, steadier, more reliable father, and now that my son is 22, an adult, the information here has tremendous relevance.

After all, we’re kids for 18 years. We’re adults for up to 70 years. And during those 70 years we may produce a lot of kids and grandkids with ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Although they are not struggling with Divorce, Bankruptcy, Finding a job, they are dealing with anger. They are dealing with feeling what its like to be different. I got relief from hearing other adults inform me i was not alone. A child does not want to hear that their Adhd parent understands what they are going through. They want to hear from children their age they can relate to.

I understand both comments. I found it hard to find a site that pointed strickly to adults so i get that. I understand that helping ourselves with our own troubles will help our kids.

But we are also adults. My son has ADHD, and he tells me everybody always hollers at him vs. his sister. I believe it would be nice for children to know they are not alone with their personal everyday struggles.

No offense takin…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)