Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Clutter tip> top of the microwave

Clutter tip> top of the microwave2012-08-02T22:22:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Organizing & De-Cluttering Clutter tip> top of the microwave

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve found the best way for me to keep from cluttering areas like the microwave is to put in systems to make it harder to to make a mess in the first place.

My microwave had for the longest time piles of papers, odds and ends and random stuff.

I’ve since put a cute tray with glass tea cups and a tea pot.

I know myself to well to try and move the tray out of my way to place clutter there.

If i try and move the tray I assume that i will end up breaking all the glass or my 5 year old boy or 2 year old girl will find it and destroy it, and thats to big of a mess for me to clean up.

This is one of my “adhd home proofing” tips i will get more up when I find myself near a computer.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

There’s definitely something about the top of a microwave that makes it a magnet for clutter. These days our microwave has the paper plates and the bananas on it. I like to have the bananas out so they are eaten quickly, and paper plates save a lot of dish washing (is that an ADD thing?).

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

We put the microwave in the space at the top of the cellar stairs, which has a door to it. But the piano can be a dumping ground, and the dining table.

I removed every surface I could think of – shelves came down, cupboards went to freecycle…as much as I could…and I got rid of so much stuff it took years to do but it’s fairly clutter free now as a result. Except the bedroom. There are too many shelves in here aned they’re full of junk, when I’d hoped to have nicely organised files and books in there…

Mostly pretty good system though – to get rid of the places I dumped stuff! I’ll try putting something pretty on the piano to stop me dumping things there!

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Talking of cupboards (and drawers); the best tool I have found to keep from filling them with clutter is to use various small boxes and baskets. These are designated for specific things, and if there isn’t a box for it, it doesn’t go there. It’s working so far……

REPORT ABUSE

Hopeful_in_Ontario

When I was younger, we used to pile recipe books on the microwave. It used to be next to the wide-slot toaster. One morning, my brother and I woke up to the smoke detector going off due to smoke in the kitchen.  We frantically looked around but couldn’t find a fire.  Then we saw that one of the cats had knocked some books off and they got toasted!  They must have popped up again without fully igniting, thankfully. An unexpected lesson for us to be more careful. It’s not something we could have predicted.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)