Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

COGMED?

COGMED?2011-11-28T19:03:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other COGMED?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.cogmed.com/adhd-and-beyond

Any adults diagnosed ADHD late in life and tried this “pricey” computer driven program? If so, what was your experience?

Thx,

nth

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I am 59 and found out recently that I have ADD, after my 21 yr old son was diagnosed. As compared to many of the members who have posted on this site, I feel truly fortunate that my ADD has not been “debilitating” and that I have been pretty successful on most areas.

I have seen some posts on this site about “programs” that are supposed to help mitigate the effects of ADD and COGMED may be one of them. I am not familiar with any of them, but from what I seem to remember is that they are expensive and do not provide lasting effects. I suspect they exercise the brain, and like muscles, when exercised, performance improves. Stop exercising and the benefits are slowly lost. I seriously doubt that these programs provide a cure.

I, and keep in mind I am just “shooting from the hip”, would recommend that you find a book off Amazon that provides brain exercises or go to a site like Luminosity and sign up for a trial. Both alternatives are far cheaper and can be done at home. You can also try learning a new skill or hobby. What you want to do is exercise and activate areas of the brain you do not normally use. Basically things (diet and exercise) that are good for the heart are good for the brain.

I personally enjoy viewing lectures from the learning company. There is a course on the brain,

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1580

that I really enjoyed. Although it does not discuss ADD, it does educate the viewer about brain physiology which helps in understanding articles and lectures on ADD. These lectures go on sale at somewhat reasonable prices. A university level course by the best teachers for cheap.

As far as COGMED goes, I would say save you money. I am sure there are those who have tried it and would swear by it.

Caveat emptor.

Post edited:

I just checked the teaching co site and found

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1651

which I shall order today. As you can see if you check the link, the sale price of $40.00 is far less than the normal price of $200.00 for the DVD. All course go on sale at similar price savings. Recently, they have really been having the sales.

REPORT ABUSE

alaskaron

Posted this on another forum here but just wanted to repeat:

Is anyone using Cogmed now? Been a while since the last post here, but we are just starting it.

One poster in another forum inappropriately stated that it was a waste because it hasn’t improved ADHD behavior. It’s not meant to improve behavior, just working memory.

I am also very interested in anyone who has had success getting Cogmed into a school system, so that it becomes free for students in need. Overcoming budget restriction arguments is a big one — Cogmed is apparently down to about $80/student cost to the District if they buy a bulk permit.

Otherwise, locally here we can get Cogmed through our neuropsych for $500 now.

Lumosity and other consumer sites may not be geared to the same working memory targets as Cogmed. I don’t know. but the issue with Lumosity-type sites are whether the gains there are generalized to memory across longer time frames, whereas Cogmed is geared to shorter memory in reading and math.

thanks for any response,

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Sorry – I have never used any computer-based programme to improve my memory.  I use organisers and play games but that’s it.

I think I remember things better if they are written on paper rather than on a screen, although I appreciate you’re talking about something more sophisticated. I’m of the age where we wrote things out multiple times at school in order to remember them. I think there is some evidence that writing triggers the memory better than typing on a keyboard and that the more physical nature of type on a page (all to do with topography) helps better than flat letters on a screen.  Anyway, I really only answered this to keep it up the screen in case it’s spotted by someone who knows the answer.

There are several Facebook pages devoted to ADHD and you may get an answer on one of those – e.g. The CHADD site.

REPORT ABUSE

mongol
    Participant

Hello everyone, was interesting to read your article. Usually i’m reading New York Times, but now i will read you too!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by mongol.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by driddles.
    REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)