Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

cognitive behavioral therapy anyone?

cognitive behavioral therapy anyone?2010-12-24T05:23:03+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments cognitive behavioral therapy anyone?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

my attention was brought to cognitive-behavioral therapy when i was…oh who knows. studies are showing that the cobination of medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy has shown very positive results in helping adders cope with everyday living. i have been on pills since grade 3. i am looking for more options.

if anyone has any experiences or information to share please do. i’m just not sure wat to expect. i could google it but who has time for that, i have too many other things to do like spacing out and talking during tv shows.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hi Vic – There are lots of people that have more experience with CBT than I do. I went to a CBT therapist for a while. Her focus was on identifying automatic thoughts and bringing them to the surface so you can make a conscious decision and change your behavior. For example, are there times when you feel suddenly restless? With me, I’d suddenly get a craving for something sweet. As we worked with it, I came to realize that it wasn’t about food, my mind was seizing on anything to get away from the work. She had three stages:

1. Look backwards and identify the behavior you want to change

2. Recognize the automatic thoughts as they happen

3. Come up with strategies for avoiding the automatic behavior

One of the strategies we came up with was not trying to focus on one task for hours at a time. Have two things on the go and switch between them. That was helpful.

But I don’t think that CBT is your only option. CBT is one form of mental discipline. There are others. There are two things I think you should be looking for: an awareness of how you are affected by ADHD and tools to help you accomplish what you intend to do. Look for activities that encourage focus and intent. For some, it might be martial arts. For others, performing or fine arts. Still others might study business analysis. All of these disciplines involve hard work, so pick an area that energizes you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks bill,

i have been researching the subject for days now, basically since i found this site! i had no idea the options until now. this website, and everyone on it has blown me away. thanks again, never knew a hobbie could be so iportant to lifes success

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bill, that’s such a wonderful response!

I recently took up knitting, and I can honestly say, there really is a “zen” aspect to it that appeals to ADDers. I was a bit hesitant at first, but once I jumped in, it’s been a confidence builder even in the few things that I’ve learned about it so far.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Megatron, That is soooooo cool! I have friends that knit. Interestingly enough, when you ask them what they’re working on, they always have an answer, but somehow it seems like there is a deeper reason. The thing being knitted is secondary!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the most important aspects of therapy is to find someone you feel comfortable with. I’ve hear a lot of good things about CBT and have seen some excellent clinicians using it very well but I’ve met a lot of people who didn’t have as positive of an outcome with it as Bill has. If you try it and it’s not working don’t get discouraged because it may be more of a problem with the clinician than the technique its self. I think it would definitely be worth a try.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

I agree with adamb: the counselor/therapist is more important than the technique they use. Most therapists actually use a blend of the difference processes they have learned and their own experience. If you feel that they understand you and if their suggestions make sense to you, you will have a much better outcome. As a rule of thumb, you should have a better understanding and a clearer view of what to do from the very first visit with a therapist. That’s right, good things should start happening immediately, or I would question the relationship.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)