Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

college MAJOR/career decision

college MAJOR/career decision2010-12-03T04:46:38+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace College college MAJOR/career decision

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I just can’t think of what I want to do as a career. I mean I want a job where I can move around, critically think, and make something/fix with my hands. I fear of not graduating college period. I want to do so much that I can’t pick just one and what I think I could do my community college doesn’t offer it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

inefficient-

I totally get where you are coming from. I worked in a steel mill out of high school then work my way threw with my microsoft and cisco engineering certs in the network security industry and later move on when the US tech bubble popped in 2001.

I was not a traditional student, I started when I was 25. I started out in computer engineering, then on to chemical and finally landing into civil engineering. since us ADD’ers are so active ;) this would be a great path. civil engineering as five primary disciplines, and can even be broken down from there. [1] Structural Engineering [2] Water Resources and Hydraulic Engineering [3] Geotechnical Engineering [4] Environmental Engineering [5] Transportation Engineering.

I will be finishing up my masters in structural engineering in the spring and I have yet to have a day I have regretted it. I spend so much time in a concrete materials lab, going to bridge sites….most cases you can pick your poison in terms of focus (hahaha). My passion found me fortunately.

FYI—Most engineers I have worked with were real jerks when I made them aware of my ADHD. LOL typically engineers are jerks anyways…my wife tells me that all the time :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you like kitchen work, a career as a chef is a good choice. Everyone needs to eat, so you’ll always have work somewhere. Recently, I attended a local university to augment my previous education at an art institute. Studying was painful and tiring, but I did it. However, if I was living in a bigger city where the education was available, I would definitely go for a chef’s degree. The best part of cooking — and I can say this from personal experience as a line cook at better restaurants — is that you get an order, you prepare it, and BANG, it’s time to do something completely different.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“So I just can’t think of what I want to do as a career. I mean I want a job where I can move around, critically think, and make something/fix with my hands. I fear of not graduating college period. I want to do so much that I can’t pick just one and what I think I could do my community college doesn’t offer it.”

Wow…I could have written that. Unfortunately I have no awesome ideas to offer, but at least you’re not alone in the boat, right? :)

I went to university without much sense of what I wanted to do, switched majors after my first year, did a minor for some variety, graduated, and fell into a masters degree, all the while working in cubicles, and now with just my thesis left, I’m stalled. After 8 years of university and 4 years of working in “real jobs”, I still don’t know what I want to do. IMO, education is never a waste. But still, I wonder if it was a bad idea to do an arts degree that makes me broadly marketable for writing/thinking jobs, but doesn’t actually lead to a concrete “career” like some education does (e.g. paramedic, doctor, teacher, etc.)

I’m thinking about becoming a psychologist, because then you see a new person and puzzle every hour. But the thought of another 8 years of education to get there…oh god.

I’d thought about being a paramedic, but I can’t drive to save my life. I’ve thought of doing woodworking or plumbing or electrician.

I’m trying to come up with more career ideas that wouldn’t be deathly boring like my current cubicle job. I can’t figure out how anyone survives those. Sitting in a cube for 40 hours a week makes me insane.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did history and political science in college and it’s been difficult for me in the job market. the worst part of it is that i learned much more about both reading howard zinn, barbara ehrenreich, chris hedges, matt taiibbi and others on my own than i did in college. i wanted my money back and the best years of my life back and my student loans canceled. So i wouldn’t recommend that type of degree but i would recomend college if you’re going into the sciences or mathematics. that’s where they have all the cool equipment so if by default that you have to go there.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

はぎめまして どぞよろしく!  안녕하세요! If you did not know, I like languages and cultures and psychology, now you do! But at first I did not realize it. My first major was Environmental Sciences and Studies to help take care of the forest, Nature and things like that, but people said it did not pay well, so being the creative idiot I am I then majored in Art which was fun and interesting, but once again everyone told me that I would not be able to make a living of it. So now at 25 soon to be 26 year-old-young-man :) I am intending go back to college and to try and some how major in Teaching English As A Secondary Language in Japan or South Korea or something like that. As I currently am a caucasian Sushi Chef working in a Japanese Restaurant, which is a fun and active job on your feet much like the cooking which I did too, with new orders and people creating their own new rolls for you to make, while have to talk to customers and cut fish with a very sharp knife! But I found much to my delight that interacting and communicating with many foreign coworkers like; Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Hispanic, no Japanese hahaha! Was even more interesting and there is so much to learn with A language let alone three or more! Is you never stop learning about even one, it is nonstop, everyone comes from slightly different backgrounds to complete opposites on some cultural bases which relates to how they perceive and interact allot of time. But I am terrible at studying and am almost always distracted in class or on tests and bad at saving money to boot! So I am also trying to come up with another additional major just in case this one does not work out and I get stuck in America….. Got to go to work quick by!

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I changed my major three times when my advisor suggested I try Liberal Studies. At first, it bothered me but it worked out greatly. I got to create and take classes I wanted to take. The only problem was making them fit in with the categories need to graduate. One class was creating my course. Freaked me out, but I like to write misspelling, and grammar mistakes. My professor is going to work with me over the summer to help prepare my manuscript in the future. He said that I was a genus. Can you believe that. My advise is to talk to your advisor and help you out. Also, you can take career test at you career center.

If it helps, I finally have an interview for something I want to do. it has environment, writing, and education.

Best of Luck

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to do an internship/job/volunteer in another country. Do something crazy and interesting and different. It will be a better education in the “real world” than one could ever receive in a classroom, and it will always look cool on your resume. Go rescue some sea turtles or build some schools or work with lepers! (seriously)

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Try this Jung Typology personality test for fun

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

The only caveat is that the questions are sort of confusing sometimes. But Mine turned out pretty accurate and my daughter’s was quite spot on. I know other people who’ve taken it and felt it was pretty revealing.

Then check out http://keirsey.com/ for an explanation of the types

(use the first link above to get a free detailed assessment. if you do the test on the Kiersey site you only get a partial indicator and have to pay for a detailed one)

They give an idea of the type of jobs that might be a good fit.

Granted all of these things need to be taken with a grain of salt but it’s fun and can help provide some insight.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)