Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

concerta and cough medicine?

concerta and cough medicine?2011-01-24T15:01:04+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta concerta and cough medicine?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m currently using Concerta (which is working very well!) but I’ve caught a pretty nasty cold and I’m wondering if cough medicine has an adverse effect if it’s taken with concerta. I was going to take buckley’s daytime gel caplets but I figured it would be best to ask first.

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Talk to your pharmacist. The main risk is that many cough medicines contain a stimulant-type drug (DM), to suppress coughing and another (Pseudoephedrine) to relieve nasal congestion. Especially “daytime” or “non-drowsy” formulas.

Concerta often raises blood pressure, so adding another stimulant-type drug can raise it even higher, which can be dangerous.

Instead of taking any sort of capsules, just take regular (non-DM) Buckley’s Mixture, which contains non-drug ingredients. If you store it in the fridge, and hold your nose when you take it, the only unpleasantness about it is the ammonia after-burn. Though I quite like the “strong cough drop” flavour of it (apart from the after-burn).

For nasal congestion, sit in the bathroom with the door closed and the hot shower running. Or, just fill the sink with hot water, drape a towel over your head and shoulders (forming a tent), lean over the sink, and breathe in the hot steam. Running a vaporizer or humidifier in your room also helps. Several of my friends have found that using a Neti Pot of saline solution is very effective, too.

I also have an amazing recipe for Chicken-Vegetable Soup, which is super-concentrated with heaps of veggies—pureed so your body can absorb the nutrients without having to work to digest the food first. I make a big batch of it, divide it into smaller portions, and store them in the freezer—ready to be thawed, heated up, and devoured whenever I’m sick or feeling run-down. It’s an incredible energy rush, with lots of vitamins, fibre and delicious Butterballs (homemade dumplings made with whole-wheat flour) floating in it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I usually use the original buckley’s formula :) but that’s mostly for coughing. I just have a really runny nose right now. but it’s tolerable.

Thank you for the info :)

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Try the Neti Pot to flush out all that yecch.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)