Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta + Caffeine = big problems?

Concerta + Caffeine = big problems?2011-07-28T15:28:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta + Caffeine = big problems?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So yesterday was the second day of taking Concerta 18mg. The first day was not pleasant, and i don’t think i want to stay on this. However, i quit taking Strattera immediately and I agreed with my doctor that this time I would stick with it for at least 7 days even if I did not like the effects at first. After last night I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I took my concerta at 8am, and i had a little more caffeine than the first day (I normally drink a ton before I was diagnosed and prescribed meds.) I drank a 32 oz cup of mt. dew at about 10:00 pm. I was under the impression concerta works for about 12 hours, so i didnt think it would matter. About 11-1130pm, I was sitting down and began to feel really lightheaded, suddenly, and I just had a feeling i was going to pass out. I didn’t exactly pass out, but my heart was kind of racing, and i was definitely shaky and really concerned i was gonna pass out and just fall over if i stood up for too long. It was like i zoned out for a minute (not normal or even add normal zoning out, it was like i was there but my mind was not present).

Basically (to keep from rambling more), Do you think this would have happened anyways if I did not consume caffeine throughout the day?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m concerned that if my body can not tolerate concerta, the other options will pretty much be out of the question. Any thoughts on that thought?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes. none of the stimulants mix well with caffeine! Caffeine is a stimulant by another mechanism. Combining them is hazardous! I made that mistake one day and will never ever repeat that! I got horrible anxiety followed by horrible insomnia. never again… If you still have that reaction even without caffeine, call your doctor!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I do keep thinking I should’ve just called immediately, but i just found my appointment card today with an after hours emergency number (which i didnt even consider might exist for some odd reason). If it was anxiety it was definitely the worst attack i’ve ever had. I do also have generalized anxiety disorder, but what i usually consider anxiety has never felt like that in a physical way. But yeah, I believe I will call my doctor before I decide whether or not to give it another try. I’m kind of scared to even drink caffeine without the meds after that. Thanks for the reply!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

that sounds like the best plan. only you know how you felt. When I mixed it, I felt horrible, but nothing felt physically dangerous. I also have GAD. although now, I am beginning to question this as my worrying and mental noise seems to decrease on the meds. However, I know I’m a naturally anxious person!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Questioning the GAD? I was diagnosed with it before add, but it was with depression, and the more i read about various mental disorders, the less “depression” seemed to fit. Certainly felt under-par a lot, but not depressed with no end in sight. I was questioning my anxiety diagnosis too, because almost all of what I worry about is related to not having things done, or not remembering if i did something, or supposed to be doing something other than what I happen to be doing at the time. I was like, well that actually makes sense to worry about that, because more than half of the time, it’s because its true! lol

But yeah, talked to a couple more people, and panic attack is making a lot more sense than what i was imagining. Just never felt so intense. Like, thought I was going to die intense. I am a smoker, but my thinking then seems a lot less rational thinking about it today.

Doc said it was probably the meds mixed with caffiene, but got an appointment tuesday. MUCH sooner than I expected to be able to do anything other than not take it anymore.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

glad you got an earlier appointment =) best to err on safety. also piece of mind is invaluable. To know whether my GAD is actually GAD, I will probably need to wait until school begins. it will be a good barometer of my usual neverending worries

=)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always seem to get the shakes in the morning and now Im wondering if it is because of the coffee I had. I only drink one cup but maybe thats enough. Im going to try to cut it out tomorrow and see what happens.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I went on a Concerta vacation this summer. And switched back to 3 coffees a day. Now I’m back to Concerta and one coffee a day. Hmm. Maybe I’ll try getting off the coffee altogether. Knowing to get there I’ll have to go through a withdrawal headache.

R

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)