Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta effecting my heart & blood pressure

Concerta effecting my heart & blood pressure2011-01-26T20:01:43+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta effecting my heart & blood pressure

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been on Concerta since November; in the beginning of January my doctor raised my dose from 36 to 54 mgs. Last week, I noticed I was having chest pain and trouble breathing. I chalked it up to a panic attack and just waited it out, but it didn’t go away for several hours. Finally, I thought I might be having a heart attack- and then I definitely did have a massive panic attack! The EMT’s did an EKG on me, assured me that I was fine, and told me to see the doctor.

This morning, my resting heart rate and blood pressure were MUCH higher than normal, and my doctor determined that it is definitely a side effect of the meds. He put me on beta blockers for the next two weeks, and gave me tranquilizers for emergencies. At the end of two weeks, if my nervous system hasn’t adjusted to the increased dosage, he says we have to go back down.

I don’t WANT to go back down. I don’t particularly want to keep stressing my body this way, either, but other than that I am doing better on this dose.

I would welcome any ideas or experiences. I had some side effects when I first started with 36 mgs, including jitteriness during the first two hours, but eventually they faded.

If the dose is too high for my body, does that mean it’s too high for my brain? (If that question makes sense).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been on aderall for about 2 years, my doctor insist on monitoring my blood pressure every 30 days, He has been very helpful in helping me find the dosage that works for me, I ask him about concerta, He said he would prescribe it if I wanted, but he did not like the side affects it seemed with bloodpressure for poeple my age (50 now) My son is on concerta, he is 25 with no side affects as yet. My point is contact your doctor & try to work very closely with him if you can, I know with some that is hard to do they seem to just want to push pills on us. Be sure your doctor knows whats going on, how the concerta is affecting you both the benifitts & side affects. ask lots of questions, about changing meds, possible side affects, what is the med suppose to do etc… This can be very frustrating, But it is worth it in the long run. I may be lucky in that I have a doctor that will talk to me & listen, he seems to have the attitude that this is about my health & well being, not about him being the doctor as it seems some of the poeple on this site have to deal with.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, my doctor is brilliant and he is keeping close tabs on me. I just didn’t think of these questions when I was there and I won’t see him until after I’m finished with the beta blockers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OMG! So weird to find that topic today! This afternoon, twice, my heartbeat went way way up! I mean it was pumping! And for a few minutes. And the second time I also felt a pain in the chest, or abdomen, moist cold hands, dryness of the mouth and bad breath. I was worried! I have severe anxiety and I have been on Concerta 27 mg now for a few weeks. Usually, agressivity from clients on the phone at work gets me into an anxiety attack but I had no agressivity today. Just a very busy day at the office. I had a pastry and a big Moka coffee for lunch (hence my user name :-), I love Moka coffee!). Maybe that affected me, I mean with the anxiety and Concerta being a stimulant!? I tried to keep it under control. I don’t want anyone to bother with me anymore at the office but I think the security guard was upset. I hope he didn’t tell anyone.

I do have a tendency to see the worst of any given situation. Well, severe anxiety (how do you spell da… duh…?). Thinking back, I think caffeine with the stimulant that is Concerta got my hearth pumping and the anxiety did the rest.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)